+
Tips & Tricks

Prevent & fight gray mold on peonies - Here's how it works


If peonies look sick in spring, one thing is mostly to blame: gray mold. If you don't fight it right away, you can expect your peonies to die.

Gray mold occurs especially in spring

Almost every hobby gardener has probably already discovered gray mold on his peonies. It is a mushroom that mainly occurs in spring. Especially when the air humidity is particularly high. The fungus can then be really dangerous for the plant. And that doesn't just apply to peonies. If you are not careful, you will ensure that the gray mold can continue to multiply. To prevent this from happening in the first place, we will now explain to you exactly how an infestation with gray mold manifests itself, how you can prevent it and what you have to do if your peonies are affected.

How does a gray mold infestation manifest itself?

If your peonies are affected by gray mold, you will notice this relatively quickly. Typical signs are:

  • young leaves wither very quickly
  • Wet rot on the stem bottom
  • Bud rot, with buds turning brown and / or falling off
  • Mold lawn all around the peony

So take a look at your peonies more often in spring. This is the only way to prevent the fungus from spreading further.

How can you prevent an infestation?

In order to prevent gray peonies on your peonies, you have to consider a few important points:

  • Make sure that the floor is loose and the water does not build up.
  • It is best to use a low-nitrogen floor.
  • Do not use manure as fertilizer.
  • Don't water the leaves.
  • Cut the leaves back as deep as possible in the fall.
  • Remove the mulch from winter in spring.
  • Loosen up heavy soils with sand.
  • Always choose a sunny location.

How can gray mold be fought?

Unfortunately, despite all the preventive measures, it can always happen that your peonies suffer from gray mold. If you notice the first signs, then you must act quickly and cut back the affected parts until you reach the healthy area. You must then dispose of the diseased parts of the plant in the household waste and not in the compost. If you were to dispose of the infected plant parts via the compost, then the fungus would continue to multiply with the compost and thus attack other plants.