Barberry wine is a wonderful drink, the first memories of which date back to the period of the Sumerian era. Already at that time, connoisseurs knew that liquid can not only intoxicate, but also treat all kinds of diseases. The drink has a rich red-burgundy color, sweet and sour taste and an unforgettable aroma. After the first tasting of self-made wine, a person will make it annually, since the result is worth the effort and time spent.
Barberry berries, like drinks made from it, are rich in vitamin C. Therefore, it can be used to treat colds, relieve fever and increase immunity. The composition of the fruit also includes acids (malic, tartaric, citric), glucose, fructose and other useful substances.
A moderate intake of homemade barberry wines will help improve blood flow, flush toxins from the body, and maintain youth.
The subtleties of making barberry wine
For making wine at home, fresh or frozen fruits of barberry are used. It is recommended to pick the berries in late autumn after the onset of the first frost. Under the influence of low temperatures, the fruits become softer and sweeter, which will save on sugar when cooking.
Attention! Raw materials must be carefully sorted out, leaving only ripe fruits. Even 1 spoiled barberry can spoil a whole jug of wine.
When preparing wine without adding yeast, there is no need to wash the fruits, so as not to remove natural yeast from their surface. To avoid the appearance of mold in the drink, you need to carefully process the container for the wine. The container is washed in boiling water or sterilized. Be sure to wipe dry. And also a large wooden spoon is used to knead the future wine.
A large amount of water must be added to barberry wine. This is due to the fact that the fruits of the plant are juicy and have little pulp. And you need to add more granulated sugar or honey than to the usual grape wine, since the barberry is rather sour. To improve the taste and aroma of the drink, in addition to the main ingredients, spicy herbs (mint, lemon balm, vanilla) or citrus zest are added to it.
Barberry wine recipes at home
There are various recipes for making alcoholic drinks from barberry. The most popular are:
- barberry yeast wine;
- yeast-free wine;
- mead with barberry;
- sweet and sour liqueur;
- thick liquor.
Each of these drinks will surprise even the most demanding connoisseur of alcohol with its taste.
Homemade barberry yeast wine
Making homemade wine will take a long time, but the results will be worth it.
Attention! Only in the recipe using yeast, the berry is washed before cooking.
- barberry (fresh or frozen berries) - 1.5 kg;
- wine yeast - 1 pack;
- sugar - 1 kg;
- water - 6 liters.
Recipe for making homemade barberry yeast wine:
- Sort out the berries thoroughly.
- Wash the raw materials with running water.
- Put the berries in a convenient container (it is better to use glass containers, but enamel, plastic, plastic dishes are also suitable).
- Mash the fruits with a pusher (some owners use a food processor or meat grinder for this purpose).
- Dilute the yeast according to the instructions.
- Add 0.5 kg of sugar and prepared yeast to the barberry.
- Stir in the mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the bucket with several layers of gauze.
- Remove the bucket for 3 days, choosing a dark place for fermentation.
- In the morning and evening, be sure to stir the future wine.
- For 4 days, strain the liquid through cheesecloth. Squeeze the juice out of the berries as much as possible. Throw out the used fruits.
- Take a prepared 10 L wide-mouth bottle. Fill it with liquid 2/3 of its volume. Add 250 g granulated sugar. Mix thoroughly until complete dissolution.
- Seal a bottle of future wine hermetically. To do this, you can use a homemade odor trap, a special nylon cap purchased in advance, or a rubber glove.
- Remove the container in a dark place for 5-6 days for re-fermentation. The fact that the process is proceeding correctly will be shown by the raised glove.
- Take off the glove. Collect 0.5 l of liquid in a separate container using a small hose. Add 250 g of sugar to the wine. Dissolve it completely. Pour the resulting syrup into a bottle.
- Seal container tightly. Leave it for 1-2 months to ripen the wine. It can be seen that the drink is actually ready, according to the dropped glove and the resulting sediment.
- Drain off the young wine. The sediment is not needed, it must be drained separately. Taste the wine. If necessary, add more granulated sugar to it.
- You can already pour wine up the neck of the container. Put on the glove again. Remove for 2 weeks.
- Drain without sediment into bottles to the top. Cork tightly. Remove (a cellar or other cold place is suitable) for aging for 3-6 months. View the container regularly. When sediment appears, pour off the wine.
- Pour into bottles and serve.
Important! Wine made from barberry has medicinal properties, has a tonic, astringent, bile and diuretic effect, has a beneficial effect on the digestive system.
Barberry yeast-free wine
To prepare such wine, instead of yeast, a special leaven is used, made at home 3-4 days before the main process.
Advice! Sourdough can be made from fresh berries that do not have large seeds (grapes, raspberries, strawberries, currants). And also raisins are used for these purposes.
- barberry - 1 kg;
- water - 5.2 l;
- raisins (unwashed) - 100 g;
- sugar - 1.2 kg.
Homemade starter preparation:
- Pour raisins into a glass liter container, 1 tbsp. sugar and 1 tbsp. clean water. Mix.
- Cover with gauze. Remove to a dark place before fermentation begins.
- Filter the liquid with gauze. Throw out the used raisins.
The preparation of the wine itself takes place according to the standard scheme described above.
Mead with barberry
This drink has a wonderful mild taste and a slight alcoholic degree.
- barberry - 300 g;
- water - 2 l;
- natural honey - 3 kg;
- ready-made sourdough - 300 g;
- additional ingredients (nutmeg, cinnamon, hops) - to taste.
Components for the starter culture:
- raisins - 200 g;
- sugar - 60 g;
- boiled water - 375 ml.
- Prepare a 0.5 L glass bottle.
- Pour unwashed raisins, sugar and chilled water into it.
- Make a cotton plug. Seal. Place in a dark place for 4 days.
- Strain, removing sediment and berries.
Mead preparation method:
- Pour barberry and honey with water.
- Boil the liquid for 20 minutes.
- Remove the formed foam.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Add sourdough and additional ingredients, selected to taste, to the future mead.
- Put to ferment for a week.
- Filter, pour into convenient containers.
Warning! Drinks made from barberry have their own contraindications. It is forbidden to use them for pregnant and lactating mothers, people suffering from diabetes.
Stronger drinks can be made from barberry fruits. The filling turns out to be fragrant and will become a decoration of the festive table.
- fresh barberry (frozen) - 200 g;
- dry barberry - 100 g;
- vodka 40% (moonshine or cognac) - 0.5 l;
- granulated sugar - 100-200 g;
- water - 50-100 ml;
- medium orange zest;
- carnation - 2-3 buds;
- cinnamon - 0.5 sticks.
Recipe for making barberry liqueur:
- Place the berries in a glass container.
- Top up with selected alcohol. Seal.
- Place in a dark place for 2 weeks. Shake the liquid every 2 days.
- Add cloves, cinnamon and orange peel.
- Remove to a dark place for another 15 days. Do not forget to shake up the future liqueur regularly.
- Filter the liquid with gauze. Throw away the berries and spices.
- Prepare syrup from water and sugar (1: 2) in a saucepan. Keep it on low heat for 3-5 minutes. after boiling. Remove the foam. Cool the syrup to room temperature.
- Combine the infusion with syrup. Pour into convenient bottles. Store in a cool place.
Advice! Drinking the drink should be done carefully. Its strength will vary from 20 to 26%.
It is quite simple to prepare a tart, viscous and very healthy liqueur.
- barberry - 1 kg;
- granulated sugar - 50 g;
- alcohol (50%) - 1 l;
- vanilla - 1 pod;
- dried ginger - 1 small piece.
Preparation of thick liquor:
- Prepare a glass jar (2 L).
- Pour the frozen fruits of barberry, vanilla, sugar into the container.
- Pour alcohol. To cover with a lid.
- Remove for 1 month in a dark place.
- Filter the liquid. Squeeze the berries and remove.
- Pour into convenient bottles.
- Insist for another 30 days.
Warning! This liqueur is taken exclusively for medicinal purposes.
Terms and conditions of storage
For homemade aromatic wines and barberry infusions, it is best to use glass containers. To avoid spoilage of the product, you must strictly follow all the rules for preparing drinks.
Homemade alcoholic beverages should be stored in a cool place, while bottles are well corked. Then the barberry wine and liqueurs will last up to 3 years. It is believed that the shelf life can be up to decades, but the drinks are so tasty that they do not reach that time.
Barberry wine is an aromatic drink that will not leave indifferent any of the guests of the house. It is important to remember that it has both beneficial properties and contraindications. Wine, liqueur and liqueur made at home with careful hands will warm you up in the colder months.