The New Dawn climbing rose is a spectacular large-flowered perennial. Due to its elegant appearance, the plant is widely used to decorate the local area in various stylistic directions of design.
The decorative appearance of New Dawn rose bushes is preserved throughout the summer season.
The name of the climbing rose New Dawn in translation from English sounds like "New Dawn". The plant was first introduced by the American nursery "Somerset Rose Nursery" in 1930 as a bud mutation of the old, hardy Dr. Walter Van Fleet (1899).
In the same 1930, American breeder Henry A. Dreher introduced the original New Dawn variety. In 1931, the magnificent New Down rose received its first US patent. In 1932, the plant was officially patented in Australia.
Climbing New Down is the standard of unfading beauty. In the Hall of Fame of the World Federation of Rose Communities (WFRS), culture takes pride of place and bears the title of "The World's Favorite Rose".
In 2000, the plant was voted four times as Large-flowered climbers by the American Rose Society (ARS), a re-blooming, large-flowered climbing rose. In 2001, the title was re-confirmed in Birmingham.
New Dawn is called the "rose of the world"
Description and characteristics of the climbing rose variety New Down
The climbing rose variety New Down has an incredibly attractive charm. The culture belongs to the popular group of large re-blooming roses, characterized by the following features:
- bush height up to 2-6 m;
- bush width up to 2.5 m;
- spiny shoots;
- foliage color is shiny, deep green;
- inflorescences are single or racemose;
- flowers are semi-double, cup-shaped;
- the number of petals on a flower is up to 40;
- the color of the buds is pink-porcelain, silvery-pink;
- flower diameter up to 10-12 cm;
- the aroma of inflorescences - a delicate scent of a tea rose with a taste of apples and exotic fruits
The flowering of the climbing rose New Down can be described as abundant and long-lasting. In June-July, flowers bloom on old shoots, and in August, buds on young shoots pick up the flowering baton.
During the growing season, all shoots of the current year, without exception, flower. On old wood, buds are formed more intensively, they are large in size. Flowering of each individual lasts 1-2 days.
Due to the large number of roses, it seems that flowering lasts continuously
The flowers of the New Dawn rose have an amazing feature: in sunny and hot weather, the petals turn almost white, and on cold days they turn pink again. In the sun, the flowers fade to cream with bright yellow, golden stamens.
Clymer New Down is a versatile crop that can develop as climbing or hybrid tea. It all depends on the shape of the trim:
- with a low pick, the plant takes the form of a loose fountain-like bush;
- when pinching lashes with a size of 1.5 m - a climbing form in the form of a climbing bush with lashes up to 5 m long.
Judging by the reviews, description and photo, the New Dawn climbing rose delights with its continuous magical flowering and the captivating aroma of delicate pink buds.
In some cases, the culture enters winter, all strewn with color
Advantages and disadvantages
The amazing decorative properties of the climbing rose New Down are not the only advantage of the variety.
New Dawn is an extremely unpretentious ornamental crop that is suitable for cultivating "weekend summer residents"
- profuse, prolonged flowering from May to September;
- decorativeness, gradual blooming of numerous buds;
- frost resistance;
- the possibility of development on poor soils and in partial shade;
- endurance, resistance to stress in difficult conditions;
- unpretentious care.
- many thorns on the stems make care difficult;
- large size, since culture needs a lot of space for full development;
- aggressiveness, the ability to suppress the growth of other plants in the garden;
- the need for regular garters and trimming of lashes.
In full force, the New Dawn bush opens up for 3-4 years of its life cycle
The New Dawn climbing rose is propagated by cuttings at home. Planting material is prepared in August. Fortified shoots with 2-3 leaves are cuttings, buried in a greenhouse or in a garden bed, and provide a film shelter.
When choosing a place to place a plant, you should pay attention to the main parameters:
- enough sunlight;
- protection from wind and drafts;
- light soil;
- landing site - at a distance of more than 50 cm from buildings and walls of buildings.
The crop should be moved outdoors in autumn (September-October) or spring (April-May). When planted in autumn, the plant has time to take root and adapt before the onset of frost.
By replanting a plant in the fall, you can be guaranteed to get viable cuttings for the next year.
Growing and caring for a climbing rose New Down
New Dawn climbing rose care is not a complicated agricultural technique. The plant develops even with a lack of attention.
Universal methods of crop care:
- Watering with warm water in the evening under the root, without getting on the leaves. In August, watering is stopped.
- Top dressing with organic and mineral fertilizers. In the spring - treatment with growth stimulants (Epin-Extra, Zircon). During the period of active flowering - treatment with complex preparations with microelements without nitrogen content. Feeding with wood ash - several times during the growing season.
- Formation of a bush - pruning and tying the lashes to the supports.
- Loosening the soil and removing weeds.
- Trimming faded buds for a neat appearance.
- Preparing for winter. Scourges are not cut off, laid on the ground and covered.
Sometimes during the winter, the shoots of the rose freeze over, but they quickly recover in the spring.
Pests and diseases
The exquisite climbing rose New Dawn is not a muslin girl. The culture has strong immunity, is rarely exposed to pests and diseases. In some cases, the plant can be affected by diseases:
- Powdery mildew, or leucorrhoea, is a dangerous fungal disease that begins with the formation of small white spots on the upper surface of the leaves. Over time, the fungus attacks all parts of the plant. Bushes completely covered with powdery mildew should be burned.
For the prevention of leucorrhoea, as well as in the initial stages of the manifestation of a fungal infection, rose bushes of the New Down variety can be treated with a Bordeaux mixture
- Bacterial cancer of the bark and stems is caused by various pathogens. Disease control is most effective at an early stage.
The most effective drugs for the treatment of bacterial cancer are Heteroauxin, Fundazol
The main pests of decorative climbing roses are:
- Aphids are a dangerous pest that sucks cell juices. Large colonies of insects destroy foliage, delicate buds.
To combat aphids, various tinctures from the arsenal of folk remedies are used (pine, tobacco, tomato, garlic, pepper, soap)
- The spider mite feeds on plant juices. As a result of the activity of pests, the foliage of the rose becomes covered with black spots, turns yellow, falls off.
To combat spider mites, modern insectoacaricides are used (Actellik, Apollo, Floromite)
Climbing rose New Dawn in landscape design
The original New Down variety with amazing pale pink inflorescences is widely used by landscape designers. Plants are planted:
- along the walls of buildings and small architectural forms with a garter in the form of a fan;
- near high boles and trellises with the formation of a thick, voluminous flowering cap with the placement of branches horizontally and a garter of shoots at the top;
- near tall trees, pillars with twisting branches in a spiral.
For an original look, New Dawn's touching pink climbing tree is mixed with brightly blooming clematis and other climbing varieties. Roses New Down and Indigoletta perfectly harmonize in close joint plantings, allow you to form chic landscape compositions.
The abundant bloom of a large bush of New Dawn roses is accompanied by an amazing aroma of a tea rose with a fruity aftertaste
Climbing rose New Down is an old claming variety. The culture has been immensely popular among florists, florists and territory decorators for over 90 years. Delicate, pink-porcelain buds bloom gradually, coloring the bush with an exquisite and elegant scattering of numerous fragrant flowers.
Reviews of climbing rose New Down
Elizaveta Kuznetsova, 55 years old, Oryol
New Down is our favorite. About 10 years ago, a summer gazebo with a large family dining table was built near the house. I planted several New Down bushes around the perimeter. Over the years, my roses have grown unusually. There is such beauty around and the scent of a magical tea rose. I put the whips and cover them for the winter. The New Down rose tolerates wintering in our latitudes well, it has never froze even once. Almost does not require attention to itself. I water my rose about 1 time a week, during the flowering period I feed it with fertilizers.
Veronika Saulova, 62 years old, Vologda
Five years ago I bought a climbing variety New Down in the nursery. I planted it in the fall, the plant immediately took root, a year later it bloomed. Planted not far from home. The husband made a support in the form of a lattice. Near the rose, she planted purple and burgundy clematis on the sides. The last two years, my composition all summer pleases with a very lush flowering. All the neighbors come to see. New Down is unpretentious, does not get sick, there are no pests (except for aphids) on it. I spray it from insects with soapy water 2 times a summer. I recommend to everyone this beautiful plant that blooms without stopping all summer.