The benefits and harms of white cabbage are an important issue, since the vegetable is widespread and often present on the table. It has many valuable properties, but it should be consumed in moderation.
Chemical composition of white cabbage
White cabbage is not only widely distributed and available, it also has tremendous benefits for the body. The vegetable contains all the most necessary elements. Namely:
- vitamin C - more than 60% of the daily value;
- vitamins B1, B2, B6 and B9;
- choline, beta-carotene and vitamin A;
- nicotinic acid PP;
- vitamin K - about 63%, the vegetable is a valuable source of this substance;
- potassium and manganese;
- a large amount of silicon and cobalt - 177% and 30% of the daily value, respectively;
- molybdenum, copper and chromium;
- amino acids;
- zinc, calcium and phosphorus;
- fatty acids and sterols;
- a small amount of selenium, fluorine, iron, iodine and sodium.
Carbohydrates of white cabbage take 4.7 g, and about 1.8 g are proteins. There are few fat in the product - only 0.2 g. The vegetable has a very low nutritional value - 28 kcal per 100 g serving.
White cabbage is one of the leaders in silicon content
Why is white cabbage useful?
When used correctly, the vegetable has a very beneficial effect on the human body. In particular, cabbage:
- supports bowel function and helps to normalize bowel movements;
- accelerates digestion and promotes good absorption of nutrients;
- strengthens blood vessels and prevents the occurrence of heart disease;
- is a natural antioxidant and prevents the spread of free radicals in the body;
- has a beneficial effect on the skin and hair condition;
- contributes to the good functioning of the reproductive system;
- benefits in dietary nutrition;
- protects against the development of vitamin deficiency and prevents anemia;
- maintains good health in diabetes mellitus, since it does not lead to an increase in glucose;
- helps fight colds, as it increases immune resistance.
It is useful to eat a vegetable to improve performance and increase vigor. Cabbage leaves energize the body and have a good effect on the nervous system.
Why is white cabbage useful for women
The benefits of raw white cabbage for women are most evident in weight loss diets. The vegetable has a low nutritional value and helps to lose weight very effectively and remove accumulated toxins from the intestines.
But the benefits of the vegetable are not limited to this. The product improves the absorption of carbohydrates and prevents the accumulation of fatty deposits, ensures good reproductive function. White cabbage helps to maintain youthfulness longer as it improves skin condition and smoothes wrinkles.
Fresh cabbage promotes weight loss
The product is very useful for pregnant women - the vitamins in its composition strengthen the immune system and contribute to the healthy formation of the fetus. When breastfeeding, the vegetable enhances lactation, although it is advised to introduce it into the diet only 3 months after childbirth.
Why is white cabbage useful for men
For the male body, white cabbage is useful with a beneficial effect on the vascular system. The vegetable helps to strengthen the vascular walls, prevents the accumulation of cholesterol and improves blood circulation. This reduces the risk of developing heart disease.
In addition, when eating a vegetable, sexual functions are improved. Fresh cabbage or its pickle are the most effective folk remedies for a hangover.
Why is white cabbage useful for children
Vitamins in fresh white cabbage are very beneficial for the child's body. The product strengthens the baby's heart, nervous and digestive systems, prevents the development of constipation.
At the same time, for the first time, it is allowed to give white cabbage to babies only after 1.5 years. For the first time, it should be introduced into the diet in a boiled form and in very small portions. At an earlier age, the vegetable will be absorbed poorly and will cause colic and flatulence in the baby.
Children are offered the product only after boiling.
Attention! White cabbage has some contraindications. Before you enter it into the child's menu, you need to consult a pediatrician.
Harm of white cabbage
For all its benefits, a vegetable can be harmful if consumed incorrectly or in excessive quantities:
- White cabbage is a product that increases gas production in the intestines. Eating more than 200 grams of fresh vegetables per day can damage digestion and lead to unpleasant symptoms of flatulence.
- White cabbage can be harmful if consumed before bed. You can eat a little fresh cabbage no later than 4 hours before bedtime, otherwise active digestive processes will not allow you to sleep peacefully.
Important! An old stump can be especially harmful - it accumulates nitrates in itself.
Contraindications to white cabbage
In some conditions of the body, it is better to exclude white cabbage from the diet. The product is not advised to consume:
- with pancreatitis and enterocolitis;
- with exacerbation of gastritis or peptic ulcer;
- with a tendency to diarrhea and flatulence;
- with kidney ailments.
It is better not to eat the product and in the periods after abdominal surgery, increased peristalsis can damage healing.
Use the product with caution in case of intestinal ailments
Rules for the use of white cabbage
White cabbage can be eaten in any form, it is eaten fresh and boiled, fried and stewed, sauerkraut. In this case, it is recommended to adhere to several rules:
- Dishes with white cabbage are seasoned with vegetable oil - it improves the absorption of vitamins. However, animal oil and margarine should not be used.
- Heat treatment of white cabbage should be as short as possible, no longer than 15 minutes. If the vegetable is exposed to temperature for too long, then most of the vitamins will be destroyed.
- The benefits and harms of white cabbage salad and other dishes depend on the time of day. The product is best consumed in the morning or afternoon, when the active work of peristalsis will benefit the body.
It is better to discard the bitter stump, it contains harmful substances. Only young stalks from the smallest heads of cabbage are considered safe.
It is recommended to remove the stump before using the product
The use of white cabbage
The useful product is used in several areas at once. White cabbage brings benefits not only in cooking, but also in home treatment, as well as in personal care.
In folk medicine
Due to its vitamin composition, white cabbage has numerous medicinal properties. It is used for colds, inflammation and pain.
Cabbage broth for colds
White cabbage contains a huge amount of vitamin C and therefore helps well with ARVI and flu. Usually, the following decoction is prepared for treatment:
- 200 g of cabbage leaves are poured with 500 ml of water;
- boil for 15 minutes;
- cool and filter through cheesecloth;
- add 50 g of liquid honey.
You need to drink the remedy three times a day, 1 glass, usually cold symptoms
Cabbage broth relieves fever and helps treat colds
Infusion for vitamin deficiency
With a deficiency of vitamins, the vegetable brings a very useful effect. The following infusion can be prepared from cabbage:
- finely chop 60 g of cabbage pulp;
- pour 250 ml of boiling water and cover the container with a lid;
- insist 3 hours, and then filter through cheesecloth.
They drink the infusion three times a day in a warm form, 1 glass, in total, you need to use the product for 2 weeks.
Vitamin cabbage infusion replenishes the deficiency of nutrients
The beneficial substances in cabbage leaves have a beneficial effect even when applied externally. For headaches, it is recommended to apply a fresh cabbage leaf to the place where the discomfort is concentrated. Beforehand, the sheet should be slightly kneaded. You need to keep the compress for half an hour.
Advice! You can use white cabbage as a compress even at a temperature, it quickly reduces fever.
Crushed cabbage leaves relieve migraines
The cabbage leaf is good for recurrent chest pain in women. It is very simple to make a compress - you need to wrinkle the sheet so that it lets the juice a little, and apply it to the mammary glands for half an hour. From above, the compress is fixed with a bandage, if desired, kefir can be additionally applied to the cabbage leaf.
Cabbage leaf is good for mastopathy
For a sore throat
Fresh cabbage leaves have a good effect on sore throat and cough. The vegetable is used in two ways:
- apply a compress from a crushed sheet to the throat for a couple of hours, fixing the cabbage with a scarf;
- gargle with cabbage juice.
The benefits of cabbage juice and fresh leaves can help fight inflammation and quickly relieve pain.
You can treat sore throat with cabbage compresses and gargles.
For joint pain
With the help of a cabbage compress, you can relieve exacerbation of arthritis or arthrosis. The vegetable is used in the classical way - a fresh cabbage leaf is kneaded a little, and then applied to the sore joint. It is better to keep such a compress throughout the day, while every hour the sheet needs to be changed to a new one.
Vegetable leaf compress helps with joint pain
In the kitchen, white cabbage is used very widely:
- Salads are made from a vegetable - they are chopped and sprinkled with salt, and then left for half an hour. Cabbage in salads can be combined with carrots and apples, beets, herbs, nuts.
Fresh cabbage is often used in salads
- A boiled vegetable is often an element of soups, vegetable stews and side dishes for main courses. The famous stuffed cabbage rolls are prepared on the basis of boiled cabbage leaves.
Cabbage rolls - a traditional dish with vegetables
- Stewed or fried cabbage is put in pies, pies or rolls, often the vegetable is combined with an egg. The baked goods are not only tasty, but also very healthy.
Cabbage pies with egg are delicious and nutritious
Chopped vegetables can be used to make healthy vegetable juice. Sometimes it is consumed in its pure form, and sometimes it is mixed with carrot, beetroot and other vegetable juices. White cabbage is often fermented for long storage.
White cabbage is one of the most valuable dietary foods. Since the calorie content of the vegetable is very small, it is impossible to get better on it. But the product removes toxins and toxins from the body very well and thus contributes to weight loss.
The properties of white cabbage for weight loss are well manifested in combination with other foods. However, in the absence of chronic stomach diseases, fasting days can be arranged on cabbage leaves. During the day, in this case, they eat exclusively vegetable salad, it can be sprinkled with lemon juice.
Important! It is allowed to follow a mono-diet on white cabbage no longer than 1 day, once a week. It is forbidden to resort to fasting days on this vegetable in the presence of gastrointestinal diseases.
Vitamins and minerals in the composition of the product help to refresh and rejuvenate the skin, get rid of acne and excess oiliness of the epidermis. Home cosmetology offers several vegetable-based masks.
Mask for dry skin
The following method helps to moisturize the skin and whiten freckles and age spots:
- wipe clean skin with olive oil;
- for 5 minutes, apply a napkin soaked in chamomile infusion;
- chop 200 g of fresh cabbage leaves;
- spread the gruel over the face for 15 minutes.
Chopped cabbage can be used for skin care
It is recommended to do the mask three times a week, then the procedure will quickly bring an effect.
Nourishing mask for all skin types
The following mask helps to restore skin elasticity and slightly tighten the oval of the face:
- 200 g of white cabbage is ground in a blender;
- mix vegetable gruel with egg yolk;
- add 10 drops of olive oil to the mixture.
The mixture should be gently spread over the face and left for 15 minutes.
Cabbage gruel with oil and yolk nourishes the epidermis well
For skin irritation and acne, such a mask gives a good effect:
- fresh vegetable is crushed into gruel and squeezed out 50 ml of juice;
- a napkin is moistened in juice and applied to the face for 20 minutes, moisturizing as it dries;
- upon completion of the procedure, the face is washed with clean water.
Before applying the mask, the skin can be additionally treated with sour cream or cream.
A mask with cabbage juice relieves acne
When choosing a cabbage in the store, you should only buy strong, firm heads of cabbage with white leaves without spots and blackheads. It is best to choose medium-sized vegetables.
The cabbage leaves at the base should not be too thick. The increased density of the leaves indicates that nitrates were used during the cultivation.
You can store the vegetable for quite a long time, up to several months at a temperature of about 0 ° C. To keep the head of cabbage fresh longer, it is recommended to wrap it tightly with cling film in several layers and place it on the top shelf of the refrigerator.
For long-term storage, the vegetable can be cut and frozen, while all the nutrients will be preserved in full. But it is best to use thawed cabbage in boiled form in soups and side dishes, since raw cabbage leaves lose their crunch and taste after storage in the freezer.
Fresh vegetables should be white when cut without dark spots.
The benefits and harms of white cabbage depend on the dosage of use and the presence of contraindications. The vegetable should not be eaten in too large quantities, as it damages the intestines. But in small portions, white cabbage has a very positive effect on health.