Almost all summer residents grow strawberries on their personal plots. The choice is extremely large, promising new items appear every year, it is easy for a novice gardener to get confused in them. If you study the varietal characteristics, the Romance strawberry looks very good. It combines the attractive appearance and taste of berries with non-whimsical care and the ability to adapt to a wide range of not always favorable weather conditions.
Description and characteristics of the strawberry variety Romance
Strawberry Romance cannot be called a variety that has any outstanding features, except for the original flowering. Rather, it is the "average" variety with very good characteristics.
The appearance and taste of berries
The bushes of Romantica are compact - about 25 cm in height and 30 cm in diameter. The leaves are large, the peduncles are tall, powerful, do not bend under the weight of large berries.
Important! The main feature of Strawberry Romance is pastel pink flowers.
Bushes of Romance in bloom immediately attract attention in the garden
Berries are one-dimensional, weighing about 40 g, cone-shaped, most of them are ribbed. The skin is typical strawberry color, firm but thin. Seeds are small, yellowish.
The flesh of the Romance berries is pink-red, juicy, tender. The taste is balanced, sweet, with a subtle sourness.
The ripe berries of Romance are characterized by an aroma very reminiscent of wild strawberries.
Flowering period, ripening period and yield
Romance refers to varieties of medium ripening. It blooms towards the end of May. The main "wave" of fruiting falls on the 20th of June. Further, during the next month, you can remove individual berries. At the end of July, fruiting stops.
An adult bush brings about 0.7-0.8 kg per season
Strawberry Romance is able to overwinter without getting hurt at - 25 ºС. Accordingly, when grown in a subtropical climate, she does not need shelter for the winter. In Central Russia, in the Urals, in Siberia, plants will need protection, especially if weather forecasters predict severe frosts and a lack of snow.
Disease and pest resistance
Strawberry immunity. Romance is not bad. With proper care and the right choice of a place for planting, it rarely suffers from diseases and pests. Only if the weather favorable for the development of pathogens, low temperature, high humidity is established for a long time, the plants require preventive treatments. Folk remedies are usually sufficient to repel insects.
Pros and cons of the variety
Strawberry Romance has no very significant advantages, as well as significant disadvantages.
Relatively few whiskers forming
Frost resistance sufficient for wintering in many Russian regions
Berries that shrink and shrink with prolonged heat and lack of watering
The ability of plants to tolerate a short drought, temperature changes, prolonged rains, and other unfavorable weather conditions without much damage to themselves
Developed root system, which provides the seedlings with a quick and successful adaptation after planting in the garden
Original pale pink flowers
External presentability and a very good taste of berries
Versatility of purpose - fruits can be eaten fresh, frozen, prepared for the winter
Important! When grown in one place for five years or more, the taste of the berries deteriorates, they become smaller. Plants' immunity, their frost resistance, and the ability to adapt to the vagaries of the weather also suffer during "degeneration".
Strawberry Romance has good keeping quality and transportability
No specific agronomic measures for Strawberry Romance are required. The landing site is chosen taking into account the general rules, plant care is standard:
- Romance strawberries are planted in an open, well-warmed by the sun and protected from cold drafts.
- This variety is picky about the quality of the substrate. The ideal option would be nutritious, but at the same time rather loose loam or sandy loam with a neutral or slightly acidic pH (5.0-6.0). In general, Strawberry Romance takes root on any soil, with the exception of the lightest and heaviest.
- If the groundwater is shallow (up to 0.5 m), it is better to transfer the planting to another place. If there is no alternative, high (about 30 cm) bulk beds will be required.
- The recommended planting pattern is 30-40 cm between adjacent bushes with a row spacing of 50-60 cm.
- Immediately after planting strawberries, Romance needs daily moderate watering. When the plants take root and new leaves begin to appear, the intervals are increased to 5-7 days, adjusting them depending on the weather. The average rate is about 3 liters per bush.
- During the season, strawberries Romantica are fed three times. At the very beginning of the growing season, when snow melts from the garden, natural organic matter is introduced. Further, in the budding stage and about a month after the end of fruiting, special fertilizers are applied for strawberries containing phosphorus and potassium.
- To prevent the defeat of pathogenic microflora, strawberries Romance and the soil in the garden before flowering are treated with any fungicide. Further, spraying is repeated at intervals of 12-15 days, if the weather is favorable for the development of pathogenic fungi. To scare away pests, it is enough to periodically dust the soil in the garden and the bushes themselves with dry mustard, plant onions, garlic, marigolds, and other plants with a pungent odor unpleasant for insects next to strawberries.
- The Romance variety can do without a special shelter from frost. But if the winter is predicted to be very cold and little snow, it is better to play it safe. Peat or humus is poured onto the bases of the plants, the bed is thrown with fallen leaves, straw, dry grass. Additionally, any covering material can be pulled over the arcs.
This variety responds well to fertilizing with both natural organic matter and store-bought fertilizers.
Important! Strawberry Romance propagates in any vegetative way. With a shortage of whiskers, they resort to dividing the bush; exceptionally healthy plants at the age of 2-3 years are suitable for this.
Strawberry Romance is a variety that definitely deserves the attention of gardeners. The berries are very sweet, tasty, attractive in appearance, and universal. Agrotechnology for plants requires a standard one, you don't have to devote a lot of time and effort to planting. The variety can adapt to non-optimal weather and climatic conditions, "forgives" the gardener unintentional mistakes in care.
Strawberry Romance reviews
Anastasia Muratova, Krasnodar
Strawberries Romance are very fond of my children. From the garden, she always disappears first. The berries are delicious, sweet and juicy. In winter, harvesting from them is also going "with a bang".
Sergey Petrenko, Volgograd
Romantica planted strawberries a few years ago. On the whole, I am satisfied with the variety. There were no significant problems with the bushes during this time. The berries are also decent - large, beautiful, tasty.
Tatiana Lavrova, Yekaterinburg
Strawberry Mustache Romance a year ago was shared by a neighbor. She treated them to berries - she liked the taste very much. The plantings do not require special attention and careful care, and for me this is the most suitable option. There is not always enough time for the garden.