You can talk about the benefits of garlic for hours. This culture not only has a unique chemical composition, but is also characterized by a piquant taste and specific aroma. And it is precisely this set of qualities that made this product one of the most demanded in cooking. But not all people can eat fresh vegetables; in this case, its canned counterpart will serve as an alternative. Naturally, the health benefits and harms of pickled garlic are somewhat different from eating a fresh product. Therefore, having decided to stock up on such a blank for the winter, you should first find out about its properties and contraindications.
Marinating garlic allows you to preserve most of its nutrients, while softening the pungent taste and aroma
Chemical composition and nutritional value
Fresh garlic has a unique chemical composition that has a beneficial effect on the human body when used correctly. But even in processed form, this vegetable boasts a rich list of valuable substances.
Despite heat treatment, the product retains many trace elements and vitamins, which include:
- phosphorus, zinc, calcium, potassium, sodium, iodine, selenium;
- sulfides and phytoncides;
- vitamins of group B, C, D, PP.
The calorie content of pickled garlic is low, about 42 kcal.
Is pickled garlic good for food
Pickled garlic, like its fresh counterpart, helps to increase the body's defenses against many viral diseases. There are also other useful qualities of this product. For example, the ingredients in pickled garlic stimulate immune cells, activate enzymes and help remove toxic substances from the body. The presence of allicin prevents the appearance and development of parasites. The relaxing effect that the canned product has on the muscles of the body contributes to the replenishment of sulfur reserves, which prevents the development of hypertension.
Despite the general health benefits of pickled garlic, it can affect women, men and children in different ways, causing harm as well.
Why pickled garlic is useful for men
Fresh and pickled garlic contains selenium, which is one of the most important substances for the male half of humanity. It is this element that contributes to the treatment of infertility and has a positive effect on sperm motility. Also, this product can be safely called a plant aphrodisiac, as it promotes the activation of sex hormones, a surge of strength and exacerbation of susceptibility in erogenous zones.
It is also worth highlighting the following useful qualities of pickled garlic for men:
- preventing the formation of prostate cancer;
- increased testosterone levels and increased potency;
- positive effect on the growth of muscle mass;
- opposition to inflammatory processes.
The presence of thiamine can improve the functioning of the nervous system, strengthen memory and increase concentration.
What is useful for women
In addition to the general benefits for the body, pickled garlic has a beneficial effect on female gynecology:
- the risk of cancer formation in the uterus and breast is reduced;
- the hormonal background improves;
- reduces the risk of developing infertility.
Another beneficial quality of canned vegetables is considered to speed up metabolism, which contributes to faster burning of subcutaneous fat. This function is especially important for those women and girls who want to lose weight.
Attention! The presence of zinc, selenium and germanium in garlic makes it a good antidepressant, which has a positive effect on the general health of a woman.
Benefits for children
Fresh, salted, and pickled garlic for young children can do more harm than good. This is due to the fact that the child's digestive system is considered fully formed only by the age of 5. When consumed excessively, it can aggressively affect the intestinal mucosa, causing irritation and pain. But already closer to 10 years old, this product is considered practically safe for a child.
The beneficial qualities of pickled garlic for a child's body, if used correctly, include:
- improvement of intestinal microflora (elimination of harmful bacteria);
- preventing the development of parasites;
- increased appetite.
How best to pickle garlic
Garlic, as a vegetable rich in nutrients, can lose all its unique properties if improperly processed and harvested. And to prevent this from happening, it is important to follow some rules for pickling it.
The easiest way to marinate garlic cloves
To marinate garlic in a simple way, you need the following ingredients:
- garlic - 1 kg;
- coarse salt - 1.5 tbsp. l .;
- water - 1 l;
- sugar - ½ tbsp.;
- vinegar 9% - 50 ml;
- dill umbrellas - 2-3 pcs.
- Garlic heads are divided into slices and peeled.
- The peeled vegetable is first scalded with boiling water, then soaked in cold water for about 15-20 minutes.
- During this time, the marinade is prepared. Water is poured into a saucepan, sugar and salt are poured into it, put on the stove and heated until completely dissolved. Then pour in vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Banks are pre-sterilized, then dill umbrellas and soaked garlic cloves are laid out. Pour marinade and order lids.
Advice! For pickling garlic, it is best to use small jars up to 500 ml.
Store the workpiece in the cellar
The classic way to preserve whole garlic
The classic method of pickling is also one of the simplest, which even an inexperienced housewife can handle.
- garlic (medium heads) - 1 kg;
- salt - 30 g;
- sugar - 30 g;
- vinegar 9% - 200 ml;
- black peppercorns - 15-20 pcs.;
- bay leaf - 2 pcs.;
- water - 200 ml.
- The heads of garlic are poured over with boiling water and all excess husks are removed from them; it is not required to separate the cloves.
- Put the cleaned heads in pre-sterilized jars.
- Start preparing the marinade. To do this, combine water with vinegar, sugar, salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and lay pepper, bay leaf. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and cool to 80 ° C. After the garlic heads are poured with marinade.
- The jars are hermetically closed with lids, turned over and left at room temperature until they cool completely.
You can eat a vegetable after 2 weeks.
Contraindications and possible harm
Pickled garlic, despite all its useful properties, also has contraindications. The main reason for the detrimental effect of a canned vegetable on the body is its excessive use. An excess of a product in the diet may not have the best effect on a person's well-being. Headaches, inhibited reactions and decreased alertness may occur.
Its use is not recommended for children under 1 year old and mothers during lactation, with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, kidneys and liver. Garlic is contraindicated for hemorrhoids, epilepsy and individual intolerance.
The health benefits and harms of pickled garlic have long been well documented. And if used correctly, this vegetable will become a good home immunostimulant, but do not forget that this product is only an auxiliary, and not the main treatment.