White cabbage is fermented with various vegetables, fruits and berries. Many housewives add beets. This is an excellent ingredient that enhances the taste of the preparation for the winter, and allows it to be used for making salads, for filling in pies. Even the borscht turns out to be awesomely tasty.
Sauerkraut with beets turns out to be not just tasty, it retains useful substances and vitamins. And the combination of these two vegetables also enhances them. You can ferment cabbage in jars or in larger containers. Each recipe has its own flavor. It should be noted that cabbage turns pink, which is unique in its own way when preparing vitamin salads in winter.
Why cabbage with beets is useful
Before talking about recipes or a fermentation procedure, you need to find out if there is any benefit from such a product. Let's figure it out:
- Both vegetables are rich in vitamin C. Moreover, sauerkraut with beetroot retains its usefulness one hundred percent almost until the next harvest.
- But cabbage with beets is famous not only for ascorbic acid. It contains many other vitamins, such as B, E, PP, K, H ,. For example, vitamin U heals wounds and is an anti-allergenic substance.
- In addition to vitamins, cabbage, sauerkraut with beets, contains a lot of phosphorus and potassium, sodium and calcium, zinc and sulfur, iodine. It is almost impossible to list all the trace elements: a real periodic table.
- Beets play a special role in fermentation. After all, only it contains the substance betaine. With its help, an excellent assimilation of proteins occurs, which has a beneficial effect on the liver.
- Thanks to the lactic acid bacteria contained in pickled vegetables, the human body is cleansed of putrefactive bacteria, immunity increases, and the content of harmful cholesterol decreases.
Warning! Since sauerkraut with beets contains a large amount of acid, and it causes swelling of the abdomen, you should not abuse the product.
And now to the recipes
There are a lot of recipes for cooking sauerkraut with beets. In some of them, vegetables are cut into large pieces, in others, on the contrary, they are chopped finely.
It tastes even better with garlic
The combination of garlic and beets can be considered a classic option. Therefore, housewives consider it appropriate to add this spicy vegetable to the preparation for the winter. If you want to ferment instant cabbage, use the option below.
For many novice housewives, pickling vegetables seems to be something out of reach. That is why we offer step-by-step recipes.
The recipe contains the following ingredients:
- 3.5 kg cabbage forks;
- carrots with beets (medium) - 2 root vegetables;
- two heads of garlic;
- table vinegar - 100 ml;
- lean (refined) oil - 100 ml;
- granulated sugar - 3.5 tablespoons;
- salt - a tablespoon with a slide.
Attention! For pickling cabbage with beets step by step in a jar for the winter, do not use iodized salt.
It is best to take rock salt or ordinary table salt marked on the packaging "for canning".
Advice! It is not recommended to use tap water to prepare the brine because of the chlorine content in it.
Boil clean water, add sugar and salt at once, in accordance with the amount indicated in the recipe. They will pour jars of cabbage.
Features of fermentation
We present to your attention a step-by-step recipe for quick pickling of cabbage with beets for the winter:
- We clean the cabbage heads, removing the top leaves. After all, they can contain sand and insects. Shred the vegetable as you like: in thin strips or in large pieces.
- We wash the carrots and beets several times, remove the skin, wash it again, put it on a canvas napkin to dry. If you want the vegetables to ferment faster, grate them. Although beets fermented well, cut into strips or slices.
- Remove the husk from the garlic, peel each clove from the film. We wash the spicy vegetable under running water, dry it. The step-by-step recipe involves chopping garlic in halves.
- Put vegetables in a jar in layers in a certain order: cabbage, beets, carrots and garlic. And so, until the container is full. The last layer in the jar must be cabbage.
- Cover with a cabbage leaf, fill with brine, press down with oppression.
Advice! To prevent the vegetables in the jars from floating, insert the nylon lid inside. Cover the top with gauze or a towel.
According to any recipe, you need to keep cabbage with beets in a warm room, so it will ferment faster. Vegetables will ferment for at least 3 days.
At this time, release gases from the can by piercing the cabbage to the bottom with something thin and sharp. We also remove the resulting foam. In this case, the finished sauerkraut with beets will not taste bitter, and the brine will not become slimy.
A jar with preparation for the winter is stored in the refrigerator or cellar.
With hot chili peppers
Fans of spicy dishes often ferment cabbage with beets, adding hot chili peppers. It turns out to be a wonderful snack for the winter, which can be eaten with boiled potatoes. Even drooling began to flow!
The amount of ingredients is large, so be careful. What do we need according to the recipe:
- white cabbage - 2 kg;
- beets - 3 pieces;
- carrots - 2 pieces;
- salt - 60 grams;
- sugar - 30 grams;
- allspice - 3 or 4 peas;
- garlic - 1 head;
- lavrushka - 5 leaves;
- hot chili pepper - half;
- for brine - 2 liters of water.
How to cook
The peculiarity of this recipe is that the sauerkraut with beets will be cut into pieces. Moreover, this method is very fast, you can try it on the third day.
After cleaning the heads of cabbage, we do not chop the cabbage, as usual, but cut them into large pieces.
For chopping carrots and beets, we use a Korean grater.
Important! We do not mix the vegetables, because we will lay them out in layers.
Peel the garlic and pass it through a crusher.
Cut off the stalk from the hot pepper and cut into slices. The seeds can be left on, so the cabbage will turn out to be sharper and more aromatic. Although everyone has their own taste, decide for yourself.
Advice! Use rubber gloves to handle chili peppers to avoid scalding your hands.
We put a steamed three-liter jar on the table and begin to conjure. Don't laugh, you end up with a magic cabbage. Put carrots, beets, lavrushka, chili pepper on a layer of cabbage. And so we act until we fill the jar.
Fill the cabbage with the finished brine (we make it in the same way as in the first recipe) and leave it on the table. We pierce twice a day so that gases come out.
On the third day, you can make a salad by sprinkling onion rings on top. Pour vegetable oil over the cabbage.
Instead of a conclusion - secrets
We have presented only two sauerkraut recipes. Although there are a great many options: how many housewives, there are so many recipes:
By following the step-by-step recommendations and our little secrets, you will get an excellent way to diversify your winter menu:
- When salting cabbage in jars, be sure to compact the contents so that fermentation goes faster.
- Taste the brine: it should be saltier than sea water. According to the rules, 3.5 tablespoons of salt is added to 5 kg of white vegetable.
- To keep your sauerkraut vibrant, choose maroon beets without white veins.
Successful preparations and bon appetit to everyone.