Berries of black and red currants are a real storehouse of vitamin C. Even rose hips have much less of it. Currants also contain trace elements, acids. Thanks to the presence of natural pectin, the use of berries has a beneficial effect on the digestive system.
Currants have gelling properties, the jam turns out to be thick, as if gelatin was added to it. But not only preserves, compotes and jams can be made from berries. Try tkemali red currant sauce and then black currant sauce. The taste of the finished product practically does not differ from the seasoning, which is prepared from wild plums in Georgia.
Tkemali from red currant
Attention! This recipe, oddly enough, does not require fresh herbs, only dry ingredients.
So, we stock up:
- red currants - 2 kg;
- sugar - 6 tablespoons;
- salt - ½ tablespoon;
- ground dried dill - 10 grams;
- ground red hot pepper - 5 or 7 grams;
- garlic - 30 grams.
Important! In the berries, in accordance with the recipe for tkemali sauce, add a glass of cold water, but tap water cannot be taken, since it contains chlorine.
Cooking method step by step
There are not so many recipes for red currant themali. After all, according to the rules, sauces are cooked from the fruits of wild plums. But we still recommend trying to make the delicious red currant tkemali sauce according to the recipe below. You will not be disappointed!
Step one - preparing berries
We thoroughly wash the red currants, changing the cold water several times, and discard them in a colander.
We clean the garlic from the upper scales, inner films and pass through a press.
Step two - getting mashed potatoes
- To make themali sauce, we need to get a puree currant mass. We put the berries in a thick-walled pan, fill with water and put on the stove, at the minimum temperature for about a third of an hour. Time is counted from the moment the bubbles appear.
- Remove the pan from heat, cool slightly. Strain the boiled currant from the broth and rub it through a fine sieve to remove the seeds. We do not pour out the broth obtained when cooking berries: it will still be useful to us.
- We put the resulting mass on a slow fire, pour in the broth and boil with constant stirring for about an hour. As a result, we should have mashed potatoes, in consistency similar to fresh rustic cream.
Step three - final
When the red currant thickens, add the ingredients indicated in the recipe to the currant puree:
- ground dried dill;
- ground red hot pepper;
- chopped garlic.
Mix well and boil the red currant sauce for 10 minutes. We pour it into small sterile jars or bottles. We tighten it tightly and store it in a cool place.
If you increase the amount of ingredients and you end up with a lot of sauce, roll it up in half liter jars.
Tkemali from black currant
Residents of Georgia, by the will of fate, found themselves far beyond the borders of their homeland, cannot do without traditional sauces. But how to cook Georgian tkemali, if, for example, you have to live in Transbaikalia, and wild plums do not grow here.
But resourceful housewives will always find a way out of any situation. For example, instead of plums, a surprisingly tasty and aromatic blackcurrant sauce is prepared. Let's prepare a seasoning for meat according to a recipe sent to us by one of the readers. By the way, she harvests large quantities of themali with currants for the winter.
- black currant berries - 10 kg;
- cilantro, dill and parsley greens, 500 grams each;
- garlic - 500 grams;
- hot red pepper - 2 pods;
- salt and sugar to taste.
How to proceed
- We wash the black currants, fill with water (2 liters) and set to cook for 10 minutes. During this time, the berries will soften, they will be easy to rub through a sieve to remove seeds and skins.
- Cool the contents of the pan slightly, strain and grind through a fine sieve.
- We shift the mashed potatoes and the liquid obtained by boiling black berries back into a saucepan, salt, sugar and cook for 50-60 minutes at a minimum temperature until the juice evaporates. As a result, the mass is reduced by almost a third. Stir the black currant tkemali constantly so that the sauce does not burn.
- While the contents of the pan are boiling, prepare the herbs, garlic and hot peppers. We wash them, dry them on a towel. From the pepper, if you do not want to get too hot sauce, shake out the seeds.
- After an hour, add all the ingredients remaining from the recipe and cook for no more than 10 minutes with stirring: the sauce will thicken strongly by this time.
- We remove the dishes from the stove and pour our sauce into small containers.
Many will probably think that the color of tkemali will also be black. This is not so: the sauce turns out to be maroon in color.
Frozen currant sauce for meat:
We hope that the recipes we have proposed will be useful to our readers. Moreover, themali does not contain vinegar, which makes the product even healthier. The acid contained in currant berries is an excellent preservative.
Try making a delicious seasoning of different colored currant berries for the winter so that your family can taste it with meat or fish dishes. By the way, currant tkemali goes well with pasta and rice. Even a slice of bread will taste better.
We assure you, it will turn out yummy that you will lick your fingers. Such a seasoning for meat can also be put on a festive table: guests will be delighted. Even the recipe will be asked to share.