Delicious sauerkraut will complement your daily menu in the form of a salad, side dish or cabbage dressing. Especially delicious is the pie made with its use. The absence of heat treatment allows you to preserve the beneficial properties of vegetables.
Initially, cabbage was fermented in wooden barrels. Glass jars are also suitable for home fermentation, less often plastic or enameled dishes are used. For the winter, fermentation recipes are chosen taking into account the ingredients and the time of the fermentation.
How delicious to ferment cabbage
A simple recipe
The simplest sauerkraut recipe does not require making a pickle. The appetizer turns out to be very tasty when using a minimum set of products and spices.
- Finely chopped cabbage (3 kg) in any convenient way.
- Grate medium-sized carrots (2 pcs.).
- Place the vegetables in a large container with the carrot layer on top.
- For fermentation, salt (30 g) is added.
- The layers of vegetables need to be tamped down for juice to appear. Its surplus is collected in a separate container.
- The container is covered with gauze, and a flat plate with a load is placed on top. The fermentation process takes place fastest at a temperature of 17-25 degrees.
- Homemade fermentation takes a week. From time to time you need to remove foam from the surface of vegetables. For this, the gauze is washed in cold water.
- When the vegetables are fermented, they can be laid out in jars and poured over with the remaining juice.
- The workpieces are stored in the refrigerator or cellar, where the temperature is maintained at +1 degrees.
Pickling in a jar
The most convenient way to do fermentation is in jars. The procedure does not require additional containers, it is enough to use an ordinary three-liter jar. To prepare the brine, you need a regular iron or enamel saucepan.
For homemade starter culture, all components should be taken in a certain amount to completely fill one jar. How to ferment cabbage in this way and how many vegetables you need, you can find out from the recipe with the photo:
- 2.5 kg of cabbage is cut into strips.
- Grind carrots (1 pc.).
- I mix the vegetables and put them in a jar without tamping them.
- For the marinade, you need to boil 1.5 liters of water, add salt and sugar (2 tbsp each). The most delicious preparations always contain spices. Therefore, I add bay leaf and 3 allspice peas to the marinade.
- When the brine has cooled to room temperature, fill the jar with it.
- Sauerkraut in a jar for 3 days. First, you need to put a deep plate under it.
- After 3 days, you need to transfer the pickled vegetables to the balcony or another cooler place.
- For the final readiness of the cabbage, it takes another 4 days.
Using brine, which requires spices, allows you to get a tasty snack the very next day. An instant sauerkraut recipe includes the following steps:
- Cabbage with a total weight of 2.5 kg is finely chopped.
- Carrots (2 pcs.) You need to grate on a coarse grater.
- The prepared vegetables are mixed, a few allspice peas and 2 bay leaves are added.
- Then the vegetable mixture is placed in a jar or other container, but not tamped.
- To obtain a brine, it is necessary to boil 0.8 liters of water, add sugar and salt (1 tbsp each).
- While the brine has not cooled down, it is poured into a container with vegetables.
- A deep plate is placed under the jar and left in the kitchen.
- Vegetables are fermented during the day, after which it can be used as food or left for the winter.
Very tasty sauerkraut for the winter is obtained by adding apples. It is prepared according to the following recipe:
- First, cabbage (3 kg) is taken, which is chopped into strips.
- Salt (1.5 tsp) and sugar (1 tbsp) are added to a container with cabbage.
- The vegetable mass must be crushed by hand in order for the juice to emerge.
- Two sweet and sour apples must be peeled and core.
- Grate carrots on a coarse grater (1 pc.).
- All components are mixed and placed in a three-liter jar.
- A jar of vegetables is left to ferment for two days in a warm place.
- Then you can put the homemade cabbage in the refrigerator for permanent storage and use in the winter.
Sauerkraut goes well with many vegetables, including beets. As a result, the dish acquires a bright color and good taste. Beet pickling is often used for winter harvesting.
- Cabbage weighing 3 kg is ground in any suitable way.
- 2 pcs. beets and carrots are grated on a coarse grater. Vegetables can be cut into strips or cubes.
- The vegetable mass is placed in a jar in layers. First place cabbage, then beets and carrots.
- Then you need to chop the garlic (2 heads), which is also placed in a jar.
- For 1 liter of water, prepare 100 ml of table vinegar, sugar (0.1 kg), salt (1 tbsp. L.) And vegetable oil (100 ml). After boiling, these components are added to hot water.
- Vegetables are poured with marinade, which is pre-cooled to room temperature.
- Oppression is placed on the vegetable mass.
- After 3 days, tasty blanks can be laid out in jars for the winter.
Horseradish and pepper recipe
The combination of horseradish root and hot pepper helps to make the taste of the dish more pungent. You can get such a snack if you follow a certain recipe. The specified number of components will allow you to fill 2 cans with a capacity of 3 liters each.
- Cabbage (4 kg) should be finely chopped into medium-sized pieces.
- Then cut the beets into thin strips (0.15 kg).
- Garlic and horseradish root (50 g each) are minced in a meat grinder or blender.
- A small hot pepper (1 pc.) Is crushed separately.
- Greens (parsley, dill, cilantro) are finely chopped.
- The prepared components are mixed and placed in a sourdough container.
- Then proceed to the preparation of the brine. For it, you need to boil 2 liters of water, to which salt and sugar are added (100 g each).
- Vegetable slices are poured with still not cooled brine.
- Cabbage is fermented for 2-3 days, then moved to a cool place.
Cranberries are rich in vitamins and minerals. This is one of the secret ingredients for making delicious homemade products. The procedure for preparing sauerkraut with cranberries is given in the recipe:
- A head of cabbage weighing 2 kg is chopped in any convenient way.
- Cut two medium-sized carrots into strips or grate.
- The vegetables are mixed in one container, adding caraway seeds, a few bay leaves and allspice peas.
- The resulting mass is placed in a jar or other container for sourdough, lightly tamping it with a wooden spoon.
- Place cranberries (100 g) on top.
- Then they are engaged in the preparation of the brine. It is obtained by dissolving sugar and salt (1 tbsp each) in 1 liter of boiling water.
- When the marinade has cooled down a little, they are poured with vegetable mass.
- You need to ferment the cabbage for 3 days, after which it is removed in the cold for storage.
A delicious snack does not always require a lengthy preparation process. Sometimes 3-4 hours are enough to serve it to the table or make preparations for the winter. Instant sauerkraut is obtained by following a certain technology:
- A head of cabbage weighing 1.5 kg is cut into strips.
- Peel one carrot and grate it.
- Garlic (3 cloves) should be chopped with a knife or passed through a garlic press.
- Fresh dill is finely chopped (1 bunch).
- The components are mixed in one container.
- For a quick sourdough, a special brine is prepared. Its composition includes hot water (0.9 liters), salt and sugar (1 tablespoon each), several bay leaves and allspice peas, olive oil (1/2 cup).
- While the brine is hot, vegetables are poured over them.
- A load in the form of a stone or a jar filled with water is placed on the vegetable mass.
- After 4 hours, the sauerkraut is stored in the cold.
Recipe with vinegar and caraway seeds
Homemade preparations become tastier with the addition of spices. Another recipe to quickly cook sauerkraut is to use vinegar essence and cumin:
- Cabbage (1 kg) is finely chopped, after which it must be placed in a container and crushed with your hands.
- Grind one carrot on a grater.
- Then one onion is peeled, which is cut into half rings.
- Carrots and onions, a few black peppercorns, bay leaves (2 pcs.), Caraway seeds (1/2 tsp.), Provencal herbs or other seasoning to taste are added to a container with cabbage.
- The vegetable mixture is thoroughly mixed and placed in a jar.
- Salt (2 tbsp) is involved in the preparation of the brine, then vinegar essence (1 tbsp) is added. All components are placed in 1 liter of water.
- When the brine has cooled, vegetables are poured over them.
- The jar is closed with a nylon lid.
- We ferment the cabbage for 2-3 hours, after which we remove it for permanent storage.
The most delicious cabbage is obtained using honey. Cabbage pickled in this way acquires a sweetish taste. Vegetables can be fermented directly in glass jars in accordance with the recipe:
- Cabbage with a total weight of 2 kg shreds.
- I grate carrots (you can use any device to get Korean carrots).
- I mix the vegetables, crush a little with my hands and fill a three-liter jar.
- I get a delicious snack with the help of an unusual marinade. Honey (2.5 tablespoons), salt (1 tablespoon), bay leaf and 2 allspice peas are added to hot water (1 liter).
- When the marinade has cooled down a little, you need to pour the vegetables over them.
- I ferment vegetables for 3-4 days. At first, you can leave it in the kitchen, but after a day it is recommended to move it to a cool place.
One quick recipe is to make spicy cabbage. This delicious dish got its name thanks to the use of anise, caraway seeds and dill seeds.
- It is recommended to start making homemade preparations with a marinade. In a saucepan, you need to boil water (1 liter), then add honey and salt (1.5 hours each. According to the recipe, spices do not require too much, ½ teaspoon of dry anise, caraway seeds and dill seeds is enough).
- While the marinade is cooling, you can proceed to slicing cabbage (2 kg) and carrots (1 pc.).
- The vegetables are mixed, and it is necessary to mash them with your hands.
- Then the ingredients are placed in a jar and covered with warm marinade.
- This is one of the quickest ways to get delicious sauerkraut. Time to final preparation is one day.
Homemade preparations are rarely complete without sauerkraut. Depending on the method of obtaining tasty preparations, spices, honey, cranberries, apples or beets are used.
You can cook cabbage according to a quick recipe, then the whole process will take no more than a day. For fermentation, a wooden or glass container is selected and the necessary conditions are created.