Ryzhiks are the most popular representatives of lamellar mushrooms. They contain a large amount of vitamins and minerals that are beneficial to humans. Due to its high protein content, it is popular with vegetarians. Fruit bodies are universal in terms of culinary processing: they are fried, boiled, harvested for the winter. There are many recipes for salting and pickling mushrooms. They contain milky juice, which is oxidized during processing, so every housewife wants to salt the mushrooms so that they do not darken, how to do this will be discussed below.
Why is black pickle when salting saffron milk caps
Salting is the most popular way to process camelina. The product is ready to use in 2 weeks. The color of mushrooms during growth is bright orange, but when salted, mushrooms can turn black. This does not mean that the product has deteriorated. If there is no mold or sour fermentation odor, it is perfectly usable.
The brine can darken for several reasons:
- The mushrooms differ in color: darker spruce, orange pine. When salting, the former always darken. If two varieties are placed in one container, pine will also darken.
- If the fruiting bodies were not completely covered with liquid, the part on the surface changes color under the influence of oxygen. Such a product loses its presentation, but retains its taste.
- The mushrooms will have black brine if the proportions of the recipe are not observed during processing and there is a large amount of spices in the preparation. For example, excess dry dill seeds will change the color of the brine and the product will darken.
- If mushrooms are not processed immediately after harvest, they darken. If they have been in the air for a long time after processing, the milky juice oxidizes and turns green on the sections. After salting, the liquid may darken.
- The crop harvested in an area with poor ecology contains not only useful substances, but also carcinogens. When salting such raw materials, the brine will surely darken.
- When collecting, it is recommended to avoid damaging the fruit bodies. If they lie tightly in the container, the places of squeezing darken, after salting, the areas will darken even more and change the color of the liquid.
- The water may darken if the tightness is broken. If the container is opened and it has been kept at a high temperature for a long time. Such a product is not suitable for further consumption.
Important! The brine will darken if the winter harvest was stored without observing the temperature regime.
How to salt mushrooms so that they do not darken
There are two ways to pickle mushrooms - cold and hot. The classic salting recipe does not provide for the boiling of fruit bodies. Basic rules on how to salt mushrooms so that they do not darken:
- Do not mix mushrooms collected at different times in one container. It is recommended that processing be carried out immediately after collection. Fragments of dry leaves, herbs are removed from the fruiting body with a sponge or clean napkin, the bottom of the leg is cut off. They do not wash the mushrooms, but immediately start salting so that the processed raw materials are not exposed to air.
- If the fruits are heavily clogged, they are washed in water with the addition of citric acid and immersed in boiling water for 10 minutes so that the mushrooms do not darken when salted and the color of the liquid does not change. It is not recommended to soak the raw material, as it may darken, which will make the workpiece unattractive.
- The sequence of processing is observed: the raw materials are laid in layers and sprinkled with salt, gauze, a wooden circle and a load are placed on top. Under pressure, juice will appear, completely covering the workpiece.
- Store the container at a temperature not higher than +10 0C in a shaded area. Higher temperatures result in a shorter shelf life for the workpieces.
- If further storage is in glass jars, before packing, the jars are washed with baking soda and poured over with boiling water. Mushrooms are laid and poured with brine, in which they were salted, tightly closed with nylon lids.
- Metal covers oxidize on contact with liquid, this can also cause discoloration.
- So that the brine in the mushrooms does not darken, a minimum of spices are used when salting.
The product is stored in a wooden, enameled or glass container, observing the temperature regime. Storage at high temperatures can provoke fermentation, making the mushrooms unusable.
Is it possible to eat mushrooms if they are darkened
Changing the color of fruit bodies during salting is a natural process. Spruce mushrooms naturally have a dark cap, after processing they will turn dark brown (sometimes with a blue tint) - this is normal. If different types are cooked together, all fruits may darken.
When using hot salting technology, the fruit bodies will become dark already during processing, boiled mushrooms will be darker than those harvested in a cold way.
Color is not an indicator of the quality of the product; when salting saffron milk caps, the brine can turn black if the sequence and proportions of the recipe are not followed.
Important! If there is no mold on the surface, there is no unpleasant smell, the fruits are firm, then the product is suitable for human consumption.
What to do if mushrooms are blackened
Signs that you need to take action to save the workpiece:
- the appearance of foam on the surface means that the liquid has begun to ferment;
- the fruit bodies of the upper layer turned black, the caps became slippery;
- mold has appeared;
- the brine gives off a sour or musty odor.
Ryzhiks are distinguished by a high level of protein in the fruit body, so a spoiled product has a smell of decomposition and acid. Such a blank is not recycled again. In other cases:
- The mushrooms are taken out of the container.
- Discard the top layer.
- The rest are washed in water with added salt.
- The old brine is poured out.
- The container is washed with baking soda.
- It is treated with boiling water.
- The mushrooms are laid in layers.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Boil water, cool and add to the container so that the workpiece is completely covered.
- They put the load.
- Put away in a cool place.
You can pack the workpiece into sterilized glass jars using the same technology.
If there is no musty smell, and mold has appeared on the surface, the mushrooms are washed, boiled for 10 minutes to kill the spores and processed according to the method described above. If the food is stored in a small container, it can be used for frying or preparing first courses. Previously, the fruiting bodies are washed in cold, then in hot water, left for 1 hour to soak and used.
Salt the mushrooms so that they do not darken is easy if you follow the processing recommendations. You can not leave the crop for a long time in the air. After cutting off the damaged areas and the remnants of the mycelium, the product is immediately salted so that the milky juice does not turn blue and does not spoil the color of the brine. It is allowed to store the workpiece at a temperature not exceeding +10°C in a dark room. The product will retain its taste and nutritional value for a long time, and will become a useful addition.