Persimmon Nikitskaya burgundy - refers to tart constant varieties. This means that regardless of pollination and seed formation, the fruits do not change color. They ripen in October, the more specific time depends on the region of cultivation.
Description of persimmon varieties Nikitskaya burgundy with photo
Persimmon Nikitskaya burgundy has a round-pyramidal crown shape
This is a medium-sized (5-6 m) variety, bred in the Nikitsky Botanical Garden. The variety is included in the State Register of Admitted in 2014. Recommended for growing in all regions. To create it, a persimmon Russian woman was used. The branches of Nikitskaya burgundy are compactly located. They extend from the trunk at almost right angles. The tree is covered with gray bark with longitudinal grooves. Shoots are light brown, crown is dark green in color. The leaf plates are large, broadly oval in shape. Attached to the shoots with short petioles. There is slight pubescence on the foliage below, the skin above is shiny. The edges of the sheet plates are solid, with slight waviness.
The fruits of the Nikitskaya Burgundy variety are considered large
Under favorable growing conditions persimmon reaches a mass of 100-140 g. The peel of the fruits of Nikitskaya burgundy is thin, but quite dense. It is shiny, reddish-orange, with a noticeable layer of waxy coating. Ripe fruits are characterized by juicy and rather sweet pulp. In consistency, it resembles a jam. The aroma is well expressed. Tasting score - 5 points.
Characteristics of persimmon Nikitskaya burgundy
Fruiting of the variety is annual. In a favorable season, Nikitskaya burgundy persimmon gives a high yield. From a six-year-old tree, about 40 kg can be harvested, from more mature representatives - 70-100 kg of fruits. When grown on an industrial scale, 140 centners are obtained per hectare.
Persimmon Nikitskaya burgundy refers to varieties with an average ripening period. That is, the harvest begins in October. The whole process lasts until the first days of November.
Pest resistance is good. Persimmons rarely suffer from disease. With proper planting and proper care, the tree rarely gets sick.
Variety Nikitskaya Burgundy belongs to the intermediate group, in which, under favorable conditions, the fruits are formed without fertilization. The culture forms only female flowers.
Pollination is necessary to increase yield and fruit weight. After that, sweeter specimens are formed. Self-fertile or male varieties can fertilize female persimmon flowers. There must be at least one pollinator in an eight-tree garden. For this, the following varieties are suitable: Nakhodka, Dream, Sputnik, Gailey.
Persimmon frost resistance Nikitskaya burgundy
The culture is not highly frost-resistant. It is grown in regions with a mild climate. When the temperature drops to -29 ° C, the kidneys may freeze on annual growths. The percentage of damage to generative and vegetative buds does not exceed 20%.
Advantages and disadvantages
Any variety has its own advantages and disadvantages. Before planting Nikitskaya burgundy persimmon in your area, you need to familiarize yourself with its advantages and disadvantages.
Persimmon fruits of Nikitskaya burgundy can be used for winter harvesting
The main advantages of culture:
- Formation of ovaries even without pollination.
- Annual fruiting.
- High tasting score of fruits.
- Good yield.
- Resistance to pests and diseases.
- The dense skin allows for long-distance transport.
- Early onset of fruiting. Trees produce crops in the third or fourth year after planting.
- Frost resistance down to -25 ° C.
Among the disadvantages are:
- In the absence of pollinators, the fruits of the Nikitskaya burgundy persimmon are formed small.
- Average ripening period. Not in all regions persimmons have time to ripen before frost.
- With insufficient care, the fruits tend to fall off. In dry summers, insufficient watering can lose most of the crop.
How to plant persimmon Nikitskaya burgundy
To harvest a high yield, you need not only good care, but also the right place for planting.
The tree prefers fertile soil. They can be loamy or sandy loam. Groundwater should lie no closer than 1 m to the surface, since the bulk of the Nikitskaya Burgundy persimmon root system is located in a layer of 0.2–0.6 m.
The variety does not like drafts, so the site must be well protected from the winds.
Persimmon Nikitskaya burgundy refers to light-loving crops, therefore, the place for planting is chosen open
In a shaded area, the tree will not develop well, and the fruits may fall off immediately after emergence.
Attention! In excessively humid lands, the root system of persimmons can suffer from rot, and without sufficient watering, the ovaries will be small and tasteless.
The land for planting a tree is prepared in advance. Approximately three weeks before the expected date of planting, the site is dug onto a shovel bayonet. You can carry out this procedure in the fall, and place the seedling in the spring. Remnants of vegetation, stones, and other debris are removed from the soil. Organic matter is used as fertilizer. You can use mullein or humus. A bucket of fertilizer is required for 2 m² of area. After that, the soil is moistened.
- Dig a hole with a depth and diameter of about 65 cm. It is important that the hole is about 20 cm wider and higher than the root system of the seedling.
- A drainage layer must be covered at the bottom. To create it, you will need: pebbles, sand, broken brick, fine gravel, walnut shells.
- The next layer is a nutrient substrate. It is made up of humus, sand, peat and sod land (in equal amounts). Fall asleep in a pit in the form of a cone.
- A seedling with an open root system must be examined before planting. Damaged roots must be treated with potassium permanganate or cut off. The seedling is soaked for two hours in a solution that improves root formation.
- The tree is placed in the hole exactly in the center. A little sideways should provide reliable support.
- The roots of the plant are spread over a fertile mound. Sprinkle them with soil mixture. The soil is carefully tamped down with your hands.
- The trunk circle is mulched, the ground is watered with settled water at room temperature.
- If several specimens are planned to be planted, a distance of 5–6 m is left between them. At least 7–8 m are kept between adjacent rows.
When planting, it should be borne in mind that Nikitskaya burgundy persimmon is a thermophilic culture
If return frosts are expected in the region, protection of the seedling from cold weather should be provided. To do this, it is covered with spruce branches, wrapped with agrofibre or burlap.
Persimmon care Nikitskaya burgundy
Caring for Nikitskaya burgundy persimmon comes down to standard procedures: watering, feeding, pruning, mulching.
- For young seedlings, watering should be frequent, but not too abundant. A trunk circle will require 10 liters of water. The procedure is carried out at least once a week (if there is no precipitation). Mature trees are watered less often - it is enough to moisten the soil 1-2 times a month.
- Top dressing is applied no earlier than the second year after planting. It is enough to feed the plant 2-3 times during the warm period. At the beginning of summer, organic matter is used (mullein, bird droppings, humus). After flowering, it is recommended to add mineral compositions.
- When pruning, attention is paid to broken and damaged shoots. A sanitary haircut is best done in the spring or fall. Leaves and shoots that show signs of disease or pest damage are cut immediately after the problem is identified. Large places of cuts must be covered with garden pitch.
- Pre-winter care consists in mulching the trunk circle and sheltering the seedling. For this, the earth is covered with peat, leaf litter, shavings. The trunk is wrapped with insulation, and the branches are covered with spruce branches. Young trees can be covered with spunbond.
Possible growing problems
The danger for Nikitskaya burgundy persimmon is represented by scale insects, false scales and caterpillars that feed on green foliage.
To eliminate pests, the crown is treated with folk remedies or insecticides. In the fight against false shields and shields, Aktara, Fufanon will be effective. To eliminate caterpillars, Mospilan, Aktellik, Lepidotsid are recommended.
Chemical treatment is carried out no later than a month before harvesting.
Fruit falling off can be another problem. This can be caused by improper watering. Excessive moisture leads to increased growth of branches and negatively affects the ovaries. Lack of water is also dangerous. In severe drought, the fruits fall off. Therefore, special attention should be paid to watering.
Prevent persimmon shedding with gibberellin
Attention! Applying indole butyric acid to the cups of the fruit helps to enhance their growth.
Harvesting and storage
Until the first harvest of persimmons, it takes three or four years from the moment of planting. The approximate collection period for Nikitskaya Burgundy is mid-autumn. In the southern regions it is September, in regions with a temperate climate - October.
For transportation, the fruits are harvested at the stage of technical maturity. In the household, they are waiting for full ripening, then the persimmon loses its astringent taste. For storage of fruits, dry and dark rooms are used, the humidity should not exceed 75%. Under the influence of light, the fruits begin to rot. The shelf life of ripe fruits is very short, so the crop is used for winter storage. Persimmon is used to make jam, jam, compote. You can keep the fruits in the freezer for a long time. For this, unripe fruits are chosen. The crop can be dried.
Dried fruits are a great substitute for sweets
Persimmon Nikitskaya burgundy is a mid-season variety with a good yield indicator. The fruits are large, versatile. They are used fresh and for winter preparations. The variety yields even without pollinators, but trees with male flowers help to improve productivity.
Reviews of persimmon Nikitskaya burgundy
Elena Nikolaenko, 56 years old, Krasnodar
Persimmon Nikitskaya burgundy is my favorite variety. We have several trees on the site, so the harvest is large enough. We sell some of the fruits, the rest are used for winter harvesting. We eat fresh until winter. To do this, we send the unripe fruits to the freezer. Caring for the tree is uncomplicated. We water it periodically, mulch the trunk circle for the winter. Without fertilizers anywhere - nutrients must be applied 2-3 times per season.
Sergey Valerievich, 64 years old, Alushta
Persimmon Nikitskaya burgundy planted five years ago. I harvested the first harvest last year. Despite the fact that there are no other varieties on the site, I got about 35 kg from a tree. Part of the harvest was used fresh, compotes and jam were made from the rest of the fruits. Caring for the seedling was straightforward. The main thing is that the young tree does not freeze in winter. Therefore, I must mulch the trunk circle in the fall and cover it with spruce branches.