Modern vegetable growers are trying to choose such varieties of tomatoes for their plot in order to get a harvest for a long time. In addition, they are interested in tomatoes with different culinary possibilities. The Marmande tomato variety is a unique plant that satisfies all needs.
A detailed description and characteristics of tomatoes for greater clarity will be confirmed by reviews and photos sent by those gardeners who have been engaged in the variety for several years.
When buying Dutch tomato seeds, you may come across bags with the following names: tomato Super Marmande and Marmande. These are not doubles or namesakes, but one and the same plant. It's just that different seed companies call it differently.
The variety appeared more than 20 years ago, in the last century, and is very popular among Russians due to its unique properties:
- First, early ripening is attracted. 85-100 days after the first green hook has hatched in the box with seedlings, the first ripe fruits can be harvested.
- Secondly, the variety is unpretentious, can successfully bear fruit on various soils and in all regions of Russia. Many gardeners living in the risky farming zone successfully cultivate even in open ground or under temporary film shelters.
- Thirdly, Marmande tomatoes are not hybrids, so it is possible to harvest your own seeds. After all, varieties of Dutch selection are not cheap.
- Marmande is a plant of an indeterminate type, not a standard plant, with a height of 100-150 cm, depending on the place of planting. Leaves are dark green, regular in shape.
The inflorescences are simple, on each of them up to 4-5 ovaries are formed. The Marmande tomato is characterized by large fruits weighing 150-160 grams. They are round-flat with an unusual rib-shaped relief. At the stage of filling, the fruits are juicy green, in biological ripeness they are bright red. Tomatoes are dense, fleshy, with several chambers. There are few seeds, they are medium in size. There is little dry matter.
Fruits with a shiny skin, juicy, fleshy pulp. The taste of Marmande tomatoes is delicate, sweet, rich aroma, truly tomato.
From the description of the variety, it follows that the fruits are dense, sweet, therefore, the purpose is universal. Since the fruits ripen early, summer vitamin salads and delicious tomato juice are prepared from them. Tomatoes are good in various preparations for the winter, both in general and in chopped form. Tomato jam lovers use the fruit because it contains a lot of natural sugar.
The Marmande tomato is very popular with gardeners. Compared to other varieties, it has advantages:
- Ripening terms. The tomato is early ripe, the first red fruits, depending on the planting of seedlings, begin to be harvested in June and finish after a month and a half.
- Harvest. Tomato Marmande according to the description of the variety is high-yielding, which is confirmed by reviews and photos.
- Features of fruiting. It is stretched, tomatoes on separate clusters ripen together, do not crack.
- Taste and application. The fruits of the variety are sweetish-sour, have a universal purpose. In conservation, the fruits, even under the influence of boiling water, retain their integrity, do not burst.
- Marketable condition. Tomatoes, based on the description and characteristics, have a dense skin, therefore they are perfectly transported with almost no loss.
- Care. Plants are unpretentious, do not require much attention. Even beginners give an excellent harvest.
- Keeping quality. The fruits are stored for a long time, without losing their taste and useful qualities.
- Immunity. Tomatoes of this variety are especially resistant to fusarium and verticilliosis, as well as to other diseases of nightshade crops. Practically not affected by pests.
Reviews of tomato Marmanda are mostly positive, gardeners do not name any shortcomings. But the creators of the variety themselves warn that excessive feeding can provoke a rapid growth of leaves and stepchildren. This negatively affects fruiting.
Growing and care
Tomato Marmande, according to its characteristics and description, is a high-yielding variety. According to gardeners, it is not at all difficult to grow them.
The variety is grown through seedlings or by direct sowing of seeds into the ground. The latter option is possible in the southern regions of Russia. It is clear that the ripening time will shift.
To get high-quality seedlings, seeds are sown in the first half of March. Plants prefer breathable, loose soil rich in nutrients. The primer can be made up yourself or you can use balanced formulations from the store.
- Before sowing, the soil is spilled with boiling water, and the seeds are disinfected in a pink solution of potassium permanganate. Sowing is carried out to a depth of one centimeter at a distance of 3-4 cm. One of the operations, diving, can be avoided if the seeds are sown in separate cups. In this case, the containers should be at least 500-700 ml so that the seedlings feel comfortable until they are planted in a permanent place.
- After sowing, the soil in the container is slightly moistened with a spray bottle, covered with a film or a piece of glass and placed on a well-lit windowsill. Before germination, they maintain a temperature of 22-23 degrees.
- With the appearance of sprouts, the cover is removed and the temperature is slightly reduced so that the seedlings of the Marmande tomato variety do not stretch out.
- Seedling care does not cause much trouble: timely watering and feeding with wood ash.
- If the seedlings grow in a common container, if there are 2-3 leaves, they are transplanted into cups. The soil is taken the same as when sowing seeds.
- Ten days before planting in the ground, the plants need to be adapted to new conditions, hardened. To do this, Marmande tomatoes are taken out into the street. First, for 10 minutes, then the time is gradually increased. If the seedlings are grown in an urban setting, then you can use a balcony or loggia for hardening.
Warning! The place is chosen shaded, without drafts.
Landing in the ground
Tomato seedlings are planted on the garden bed after establishing a stable positive temperature day and night. It is possible a little earlier, but in this case you will have to cover the plants, since even a slight frost can harm.
A garden for a tomato variety is chosen in an open, sunny place, where peppers, tomatoes, potatoes or eggplants were previously grown. In no case should it be planted after tomatoes, since disease spores can overwinter in the ground.
Attention! Since the Marmande bushes are compact, thickened plantings are possible, 7-9 plants per square meter.
Rotted manure or compost, peat and a glass of wood ash must be added to the holes. It is better not to use fresh manure, since it stimulates the rapid growth of green mass, tomatoes do not have the strength to bear fruit. Then it is poured over with hot water. When the soil cools down, seedlings are planted, watered with warm water and immediately tied to a support.
According to the description, the tomato variety is grown in 3-4 stems. The formation of the bush is done after the plant takes root. All stepchildren on the plant must be removed during the entire growing season. The leaves under the set inflorescences must also be removed to increase the yield.
Further care for Marmande tomatoes is traditional:
- watering and weeding;
- loosening and removing weeds;
- feeding and preventive treatment of plants.
It is necessary to water the bushes at the root so that water does not fall on the leaves, and only with warm water. Watering should be moderate, stagnation of water in the holes leads to damage to the root system.
Attention! The Marmande variety survives a slight drought more painlessly than waterlogging.
Weed control must be tough, since pests and disease spores often live on them. As for loosening, it is advisable to carry out this procedure after each watering. In addition, tomatoes are necessarily spud, since additional roots grow on the stem. And they must work for the development of the plant.
It is not necessary to use mineral fertilizers as a top dressing for this variety of tomatoes. You can do with organic matter: infusions of mullein, green grass, solutions of boric acid, iodine, potassium permanganate. In addition to food, medicines from the pharmacy have antiseptic properties, are used as prophylactic agents against diseases.
In pest control, you can use insecticides if needed.
Silva, 41 years old, Moscow region
I have been dealing with tomatoes for a long time, I grow both varieties and hybrids. Among the undersized tomatoes, my favorite is Marmande. The harvest is excellent every year. The fruits are large, very tasty. It is from them that I make the very first salads. I harvest until autumn, as the brushes ripen gradually. I advise you to plant at least 2-3 bushes.
Vladimir, 39 years old, Far East
I don’t deal with the garden, I buy tomatoes from my neighbor in the country. Once I saw fruits of an unusual shape. They were Marmande tomatoes. Took it for trial. Now I buy them every year. Delicious, sweet, meaty. Salads from them are simply delicious.