Onions for turnips and greens are grown today by many farmers. This vegetable is rich in vitamins and nutrients. Onions are widely used in cooking. This vegetable is rich in vitamin C, few vegetables can compete with it. Green onion feathers and turnips are fashionable to be consumed fresh and added to salads. This vegetable is always on sale, but growing at home allows you to get environmentally friendly products.
Some gardeners, especially those who are just beginning to master the agricultural technology of growing onions for turnips and feathers, believe that the harvest can be obtained without the use of fertilizers. They use the traditional methods of fertilizing the beds that our ancestors used. One of the most effective options is yeast feeding for onions. The yield of a green feather or turnip is doubled with the correct use of home fertilizer. Although mineral dressing should not be ignored. Onion has no equal in the presence of vitamin C. That is why onions are eaten fresh and added to salads.
What can you grow onions on a feather from?
Growing a good harvest of green onions depends not only on top dressing, but also on the correct choice of planting material.
There are many varieties of leaf onions, such as batun, slug, leek, and others. To obtain a feather, black onions are sown in fertile soil. The first greens can be cut no earlier than 3 months later.
You can harvest green feathers using the forcing method. To do this, take a large onion set, it is also called sampling. Before planting, it is necessary to cut off the top of the onion to the very shoulders. In this form, the seedlings are planted in the ground.
Greens grow quickly. The first crop is usually harvested after 25-30 days. At this time, the feathers reach a length of about 30 cm. After cutting, the uterine bulb is not removed. Planting needs to be well fed and wait for further feather growth. Typically, one bulb produces three harvests per season. After that, it is dug up.
Attention! Feather production by forcing is more efficient than seed propagation.
How to feed onions
As a rule, at first the plant needs mineral fertilizers. In total, during the growing season, onions are fed three times:
- When the length of green feathers reaches 10 cm, and this is the beginning of May, you need to take care of feeding. All formulations are given for 10 liters of water.
- The first time the onion is fed with a solution: superphosphate (15 grams) + potassium sulfate (5 grams) + urea (10 grams).
- In the second feeding after 3 weeks, nitrophoska is diluted - 30 grams.
- For the June feeding of onions, granular superphosphate is used - 30 grams.
Important! Solutions are used for root top dressing, combined with watering.
If it rains continuously, then these mineral fertilizers are poured under the plants. They dissolve well in rainwater. You can apply top dressing before loosening or in the grooves at a shallow depth.
Let's find another use for yeast
In recent years, some gardeners have decided to use the old-fashioned method of feeding onions with a feather. Oddly enough, but this well-known product gives a good effect. We're talking about baker's yeast. In everyday life, this product is used to make lush bread and buns. Yeast is an essential ingredient in the production of kvass, wines, and beer.
The presence of amino acids and trace elements made baker's yeast indispensable for root feeding of horticultural crops. What is the uniqueness of this product for plants?
Benefits of yeast feeding
Not every gardener, growing onions on a feather, uses mineral fertilizers. Fertilizing plants with yeast allows you to get green products without chemicals. What role does this product play for onions:
- Increases the yield of plantings. By building up a good root system, the green mass increases rapidly.
- Plants become more resistant to diseases, including fungal, pests, as the immune system is strengthened. Yeast fungi, growing, drive out pathogenic bacteria.
- Yeast dressings saturate the soil with nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, oxygen.
Important! Yeast is involved in improving soil structure along with soil-decomposing bacteria.
It is clear that not the yeast itself is introduced into the garden, but the compositions obtained on its basis. The action of yeast fungi begins at a temperature of at least 20 degrees. That is why onions are fed when the soil warms up well. Top dressing at low temperatures will not give an effect, the yeast will simply die.
Terms of yeast dressings
Feeding onions when forcing on a feather with yeast is not yet so often used by gardeners. Therefore, they are often interested in when and how many times it is possible to feed plants with such an unconventional fertilizer. The first time at the end of May, then after each green onion cut.
Attention! Yeast can be used a maximum of three times during the growing season.
The fact is that yeast increases the acidity of the soil, leaches out potassium and calcium. To avoid this problem, yeast feeding is carried out with the addition of wood ash. You can also add dried and crushed chicken eggshells to the soil.
Cooking rules and recipes
For the preparation of yeast dressings, you can use dry and raw (wet) yeast. Some gardeners use sprouted grains and hop cones. Each method has its own characteristics. The main thing is to observe proportions so as not to harm the onion plantings.
But in any case, it is necessary to water when the soil warms up, and use warm water to breed the yeast. When breeding loose yeast, 5 liters of water are needed. Wet yeast is diluted in 10 liters.
Consider different options for yeast feeding for onions on a feather:
- 10 grams of dry yeast, 50 grams of sugar are poured into a ten-liter container with warm water, put in a warm place for 2 days. Before watering, dilute with warm water: for 5 parts of water, 1 part of the starter culture.
- Pour 10 grams of granulated yeast, sugar, 200 grams of wood ash or chicken droppings into 10 liters of warm water. You can use the composition after 3 days. Before feeding, take one liter of solution for 10 liters of water.
- In a 10-liter container, you will need 100 g of dry yeast, bread crusts or black crackers, sugar. In a warm place, the solution should stand for at least 4 days. Divorces 1:10.
- Chop nettles, weeds into a large container, pour warm water and leave to ferment. The vitamin composition is placed in the sun, constantly mixed during the week. Then add half a kilo of raw yeast. After 3 days, you can feed the onions. One liter of sourdough is poured into 10 liters of water.
- For 10 liters of warm water (no more than 40 degrees), you will need up to 600 grams of crackers or stale bread, 1 kilogram of chopped weeds, 500 grams of raw yeast, 500 grams of wood ash or chopped eggshells. In a warm place, the solution is insisted for 3 days. Used for root feeding when growing onions on a feather. A liter of yeast culture is added to 10 liters of water.
- Pour a kilogram of wheat grains with warm water and put for germination for a day. Pass the crushed grains through a meat grinder, add 6 large tablespoons of sugar and flour. You should get a mass that resembles thick sour cream. After boiling, the composition is left to ferment by adding 5 liters of water. It is divorced before feeding in the same way.
Super Yeast Fertilizer:
Growing onions on a feather is an exciting experience. You can get green nutritional products all year round. Some gardeners grow onions on the windowsill, in the greenhouse and in the open field - a real vitamin conveyor.
The use of yeast as a fertilizer makes it possible to obtain an environmentally friendly product with an accelerated ripening period. You just need to remember that you do not need to overfeed the soil and plants with yeast. Everything should be according to the rules.