Drawings and dimensions of a transforming bench will definitely be needed if there is a desire to make such unusual garden furniture. Despite its simple structure, the design is still considered complex. It is important to correctly calculate and make all the nodes so that the transformer can be folded and unfolded freely.
Pros and cons of a transformer bench for a summer residence
A folding bench is in demand by summer residents, owners of country houses.
The popularity of the transformer is due to the advantages:
- The main plus is compactness. When folded, the bench takes up little space. It can be placed against the wall or just along the sidewalk path.
- They are trying to make a transformer from lightweight and durable materials. Due to its low weight, the bench is easy to carry to another place.
- The third plus is the possibility of converting a bench with a back into a table with two benches without backs. The transformer will help out in nature when you need to organize a feast for guests.
Endowed with an unusual bench and cons:
- Do-it-yourself drawings with exact dimensions will be required to assemble the table of the transformer bench. If an error is made in the diagram, the structure may not unfold or not completely fold.
- Using thick-walled pipes or solid wood will add bulk to the bench. It becomes more difficult to unfold it. Only two people can hardly move the transformer to another place.
- Over time, from frequent use, the movable nodes of the bench are weakened, a backlash appears. The transformer becomes wobbly.
Having weighed all the above factors, it is easier to decide whether such a bench is needed at home.
Types of country transformer benches
Most of the folding benches are designed according to the same principle. The size differs, which is why the number of seats depends. Another nuance of transformers is the structure of the frame, movable units, material of manufacture.
If we talk about the differences between benches in general design, then the following options are most often encountered:
- A classic is a transformer table bench for a summer residence, which is easy to unfold in 1-2 seconds. When folded, the structure takes up little space. They use it instead of the usual comfortable bench with a back. After unfolding, the transformer has a tabletop with two benches facing each other.
- The transformer constructor is a frame made of pipes, where L-shaped wooden parts are strung on a long crossbar. They rotate freely, and the elements are fixed in the desired position. The designer allows you to perform four combinations: transformation into a long bench with a back, two wide armchairs with armrests or two narrow armchairs and a table between them, one armchair with a side table.
- The transformer with the unusual name "flower" resembles piano keys. The structure consists of a large number of slats, some of which rotate on the frame crossbar. When folded, it turns out to be an ordinary bench, convenient for transportation. To rest comfortably, it is enough to raise some of the planks and you will get a comfortable back of the bench. The advantage is that the raised petals can be fixed at any angle for a more comfortable position of the resting person's back.
There are other types of folding benches, for example, radius benches. However, such transformers are rarely in demand due to the complexity of the device and inconvenient shape.
What you need to assemble a transformer bench
The folding structure is considered difficult to manufacture. First of all, you will need a detailed drawing of the transformer bench, where all the nodes, the dimensions of each part are indicated. As for the materials, the benches are made of wood and metal. The best option is their combination. To improve the strength, the transformer frame is made of metal, and the seats and tabletop are made of wood.
It is advisable to purchase pipes with a diameter of 20-25 mm with a galvanized coating. The protective layer will prevent the rapid development of rust.
Advice! The best material for the frame of a folding bench is a profile. Due to the edges, its strength increases, which allows the use of a pipe with thin walls, reducing the total weight of the finished structure.
From lumber, you will need a planed board with a thickness of 20 mm. If the frame of the transformer is also made of wood, then a bar of larch, oak, beech is used. You can take a pine board. On the tabletop and bench seats, it will last a long time.
To work, you still need a standard set of tools:
- hacksaw for wood;
If the frame of the folding bench is metal, a welding machine is needed for assembly. The grinder will help you quickly cut the pipe.
Consumables will require bolts, screws, sandpaper, welding electrodes.
Drawings and assembly diagrams of the transformer bench
Without experience, it is undesirable to draw up a bench scheme on your own. It is optimal to find a ready-made drawing with the indicated dimensions of each part. If the neighbors have such a transformer, the scheme can be copied, but you need to carefully consider the device of the moving nodes. It is they who create the main complexity of the folding bench design.
In general terms, different drawings of a transformer bench with a metal frame have similarities. More often the sizes of a classic bench differ. As a basis, you can take the drawing provided in the photo of all the wooden elements and the finished assembly itself.
Dimensions of the transforming bench
The main purpose of the folding bench is to provide a comfortable rest. The size of the structure plays a rather big role, since the number of seats on the transformer depends on it. Here, each owner is guided by his own needs. Take into account the composition of the family, the approximate number of guests.
Most often, in the classic version, the dimensions of the transformer bench from the professional pipe are as follows:
- the height from the ground to the table top when unfolded is 750 mm;
- width of the unfolded transformer - 900-1000 mm;
- table top width - 600 mm, each seat - 300 mm.
The length of the transformer is a purely individual parameter. The number of seats depends on the size. However, benches longer than 2 m are rarely made.
How to make a do-it-yourself transforming shop
When the drawing and materials are prepared, they begin to create the structure. Each folding bench model is assembled individually. It is important to understand that a general step-by-step instruction for a do-it-yourself transformer bench does not exist. The assembly process for assemblies of different benches can be very different from each other.
The video shows an example of a shop:
The most successful model of a transforming bench
For all transformers, one rule applies: the structure should be simple, lightweight, easy to unfold and fold. In this regard, the most successful model is considered to be a bench made of a profile with a section of 20 mm.
The complexity of the manufacture of this model of the transformer is the need to bend arcs. It will not be possible to bend the profile of the house neatly. For help, they turn to production, where there is a pipe bender. You will need to bend two semicircles for the legs and six arcs that form the support of the table top, and also simultaneously act as a folding bench mechanism.
From straight sections of the profile, the frames of the seats of the benches and the frame of the table are welded. Sheathing is carried out with multilayer moisture-resistant plywood, thick textolite.
In the video, a do-it-yourself transformer bench in a visual demonstration:
Simple metal transforming bench
The simple design option is similarly based on the assembly of a metal frame. All elements of the bench are made of a flat profile. They can be given a slightly curved shape without a pipe bender. In order for a simple transformer to acquire originality, purchased forged elements are welded onto the frame. The table top is sheathed with plywood, and the seat of each bench can be built from two boards.
An example of a simple metal transformer is shown in the video.
Folding convertible bench made of wood
Wooden transformers are often made according to the same scheme. The process consists of the following steps:
- For the legs, eight identical workpieces with a length of 700 mm are sawn off from the bar. At the ends, oblique cuts are cut with a hacksaw or jigsaw. They will help you position the bench on a slope for optimal stability.
Important! Cuts on all workpieces must be made strictly at the same angle.
- Frames for two transformer benches are assembled from edged boards. The lumber is sanded. Saw off 4 pieces with a length of 400 mm, and 4 pieces with a length of 1700 mm. The corners are cut on the boards so that when docked, an oblong rectangular frame is obtained. In long workpieces, one hole is drilled.
- So that the seats of the benches do not bend, the frames are reinforced with bars. The elements are fixed at a distance of 500 mm from each other, dividing the rectangle into sections. The prepared bars for the legs are fixed to the frame of the benches. They are installed, stepping back from each corner 100 mm. The legs of the transformer are fixed with three bolts. To prevent the heads and nuts from protruding to the surface, they are hidden inside the drilled countersunk holes.
- The next third frame is assembled for the table top, which in the folded state of the transformer plays the role of the bench back. Here, similarly, you will need a bar. The frame is assembled in a rectangular shape with a size of 700x1700 mm. It is too early to do the cladding at this stage. It will interfere with the assembly of the folding bench mechanism.
- When the frames of the benches and the table are ready, they are placed on a flat area, connected into a single structure. To make the transformer foldable, the connections are made with bolts. The nuts must be counter-nutted to avoid spontaneous tightening or loosening.
- A structure is assembled from bars 400 mm long. It is attached between the bench and the tabletop in the corners. The elements should be located at the bottom of the tabletop, but to the side of the bench. Self-tapping screws are used to connect the blanks.
- Two more workpieces with a length of 1100 mm are sawn off from the bar. The elements are fastened with self-tapping screws in the center of another bench. Fasteners on the near side cannot be positioned. It will not work to connect two benches together.
All ready-made transformer frames are combined into a single structure. From an edged polished board, the sheathing of the table top and seats of the benches is fastened with self-tapping screws. The structure is checked for operability, the bench is decoratively finished.
Radial transforming bench
The radius-type bench forms a semicircular or round seating area. The frame of the transformer is made from the profile. The pipes are given a radius bend. The lining of the benches is carried out with a planed board. The workpieces on one side are made wider than on the opposite end. Thanks to the narrow side of the boards, it will be possible to achieve a smooth radius curvature of the seat while attaching them to the frame.
The benches are made without a back, which allows them to be installed around a tree, a round table, or the back side to an inner corner formed by the fence of the site, the adjacent walls of neighboring buildings.
Bench-transformer from a professional pipe
The most reliable is the classic folding bench from the profile. The manufacturing principle is similar to a wooden structure, but there are some nuances. The photo shows a drawing of a transformer bench made of a square pipe, according to which it will be easier to assemble the structure.
The folding bench assembly procedure consists of the following steps:
- The profile pipe does not always come with a clean surface. From storage in a warehouse, metal rusts. Mechanical shocks occur during handling. Sharp notches appear on the walls. All this must be cleaned off with a grinder by installing a grinding disc.
- According to the drawing, the profile is cut with a grinder into workpieces of the required length. Each element is numbered and signed with chalk.
- The bench seat frame is welded from four blanks. If desired, the structure can be reinforced with a spacer, but then the weight of the transformer will increase, which is not very good.
- The L-shaped workpiece is welded for the back of the bench. Its long side at the same time plays the role of a tabletop frame.
Advice! It is better to weld the L-shaped workpiece not at a right angle so that the back of the bench is comfortable.
- For the seat of the second bench, three pieces of a profile pipe are welded. It turns out a construction of an indefinite shape, as shown in the photo.
- All welded elements of the transformer frame are connected with bolts 60 mm long. Metal washers are placed under the heads and nuts. Do not forget to counter-lock, otherwise, during the operation of the moving units, one nut will tighten or unscrew.
- The metal structure is sheathed with a 20 mm thick board. Fixation of wooden blanks is carried out with furniture bolts.
The disadvantage of metal bench legs is immersion in the ground. Sharp edges of the metal scratch the paving slabs and push through the asphalt. To prevent this from happening, patches of 50x50 mm plates are welded. It is optimal to round them, otherwise you can get hurt on sharp corners. The finished transformer is polished and painted.
Design of a folding transforming bench
It is optimal to install a folding bench under a canopy, otherwise the movable units will eventually begin to disappear from the influence of natural factors. With this method of installation, wooden elements are painted with wood stain and varnish. If the transformer will stand in the garden without shelter in the summer, it is optimal to paint it with waterproof enamel for outdoor use. The tree is painted annually, additionally impregnated with an antiseptic that protects against insects and fungi.
At the metal frame, before painting, the welding seams are cleaned with a grinder. The structure is degreased, primed, painted with enamel. The frame, painted with a spray gun or spray paint, looks more beautiful.
Drawings and dimensions of the transforming bench will help create a workable folding structure. If the assembly technology was followed correctly, the product will serve for many years, will not break on moving parts from frequent use.
Reviews of the transforming bench
Sergey Vitalievich Shpak, 39 years old, Nizhny Novgorod
A folding bench with a table was made from a professional pipe. In the frame, I misunderstood a little with the connection of benches. When folding, engagement occurs. The first time you can’t do everything for sure, it’s very difficult. I will improve, correct errors.
Lyudmila Evgenievna Sych, 59 years old, Tula
The manufacture of the transformer was ordered by a local craftsman. The master is well done, he did it right. The bench is comfortable just to relax or to seat six guests. Heavy construction for garden furniture. We rearrange, if necessary, together with my husband.