Feijoa with honey is a powerful cure for many diseases, a great way to strengthen the immune system and just a delicious delicacy. A few years ago, almost no one in Russia knew about this berry, which looks like a walnut and tastes like pineapple. Today, feijoa can be found in any market or supermarket counter. The exotic fruit recipes are so varied that it's easy to get lost in them. It is better to start your acquaintance with feijoa through jam, because everyone loves sweets.
Why you need to combine feijoa with honey, what other recipes for jams can be used to strengthen the body - this is about this in this article.
The benefits of honey and feijoa
Feijoa is an evergreen shrub, a variety of myrtle. The plant has large shiny leaves, blooms very beautifully from June to July, gives a rich harvest of valuable fruits. The shrub begins to bear fruit in mid-autumn and continues to produce berries until mid-winter.
Advice! If the climate of the region does not allow planting feijoa in its own garden (the plant tolerates a temperature drop down to -11 degrees), it can be grown in a room or on a balcony. Up to three kilograms of berries are removed from a dwarf bush per season.
It is difficult to overestimate the benefits of feijoa fruits, because they contain the maximum amount of iodine, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, pectin, fruit acids, enzymes and flavonoids.
And everyone knows about the benefits of honey: it also contains a lot of vitamins and minerals. In addition, honey promotes the rapid absorption of substances that make up feijoa. Therefore, feijoa and honey jam is doubly useful, because this product:
- prevents vitamin deficiency;
- improves the work of the digestive system;
- enhances immunity;
- has a beneficial effect on the human nervous system;
- promotes good sleep;
- removes toxins from the body;
- has a tonic effect on blood vessels;
- replenishes iodine deficiency;
- increases hemoglobin in the blood;
- accelerates metabolism;
- fights viruses and prevents bacteria from multiplying.
Attention! Feijoa jam with honey is very effective as a prophylaxis for colds and viral diseases.
This is why feijoa jam recipes often contain a component like honey. Lemons, oranges, ginger and nuts can further increase the "usefulness" of such a medicine, so they are also often added to exotic berry jam.
Feijoa with lemon and honey
The recipes for such jams are extremely simple, because most often the ingredients do not even lend themselves to heat treatment - this way it turns out to save more vitamins in the finished product.
To prepare a vitamin mixture for the winter, you must take:
- 1 kg of berries;
- a glass of honey;
- 1 large lemon.
Making raw jam is very simple:
- Peel the lemon, cut it in half and remove the seeds. Failure to do this will create unnecessary bitterness.
- Feijoa is washed, tips removed and cut into small pieces.
- Now you need to load both berries and lemon into a blender or chop with a meat grinder until smooth.
- Honey is poured into the resulting gruel, everything is mixed well until smooth.
- Raw jam is laid out in sterile jars and put into the refrigerator. You can eat the product in a few hours, when the berry starts to juice. But you can also store the workpiece in the refrigerator all winter, making up for the lack of vitamins as needed.
Advice! If the honey has time to be sugared, then it can be melted in a water bath or in the microwave.
If in the autumn period you eat several spoons of such vitamin jam every day, you can not be afraid of colds and respiratory diseases. To extend the shelf life of raw jam, you can fill it with a little sugar, filling the jar to the brim.
Feijoa with honey and walnuts
Recipes for jam with nuts are very popular, because this delicacy will appeal to both adults and children. To make this jam, you need to take:
- 1 kg of feijoa fruit;
- 1 glass of honey;
- 1 cup shelled walnuts
According to this recipe, feijoa with honey should be cooked like this:
- Fry the kernels in a dry frying pan or dry in the oven (about 10 minutes).
- Now the cooled nuts need to be chopped; for this purpose, you can use a mortar or rolling pin for the dough. The pieces should turn out to be small, but you should not achieve the state of gruel - the nuts should be felt in the jam.
- Feijoa fruits are cut into several pieces and ground in a blender.
- After that, you can add nuts and honey to the resulting puree, mix everything well.
It remains to arrange the product in jars and send it to the refrigerator for storage.
Important! Walnuts can be substituted for hazelnuts, peanuts, or any other nuts. However, it is walnuts that are considered the most useful for the body in the autumn-winter period.
Feijoa with lemon, honey and ginger
Feijoa with honey - in itself is a strong immune stimulating agent, and if you add lemon and ginger, you can get a real health cocktail.
For cooking you will need:
- 0.6 kg feijoa;
- 500 ml of honey;
- 1 lemon;
- 3 tablespoons of grated ginger.
You need to prepare a vitamin mixture for the winter like this:
- Wash the fruits and cut off the tips on both sides.
- Cut the feijoa into several pieces and grind with a blender or meat grinder.
- Peel the lemon, remove the seeds and squeeze out the juice. Finely chop the zest.
- Grate the ginger on a fine grater.
- In a blender bowl, combine chopped berries, lemon pulp, juice and zest, grated ginger. Grind everything thoroughly until smooth.
- Now you need to add honey and mix well.
The finished mixture is laid out in jars and covered with clean lids. You need to store the jam in the refrigerator.
Advice! To extend the shelf life of honey and ginger jam, you can add water to it and boil for 10-15 minutes over low heat.
Then roll up the metal lids. Honey can be replaced with sugar, but the benefits of such jam will be reduced.
The combination of sour feijoa and sweet honey is very beneficial. Therefore, raw jams made from these products are delicious both as a separate dish and as a filling for pies or impregnation for cakes. The product can be added to ice cream and mousses, simply spread on bread or eaten with a spoon. In any case, the body will receive valuable vitamins and will be able to resist insidious viruses.