White steppe mushroom, Oyster mushroom royal or steppe, eringi (erengi) is the name of one species. A large mushroom with a dense fruiting body and a high gastronomic value, it is versatile in processing. You can cook eringi according to any of the selected recipes, which include mushrooms: they are fried, boiled and used for winter harvesting.
Royal oyster mushroom has a thick white leg and a dark brown hat
Features of cooking ering
Steppe oyster mushroom is a fairly common species found in the South and in regions with a temperate climate. Fruiting in spring, grows in groups or singly in pastures, meadows, is in symbiosis with umbrella plants. The gastronomic value is high, therefore, eringi are cultivated in large farms for sale and at home for personal consumption.
On supermarket shelves, the view is not uncommon, it is in high demand among consumers. Cooking white steppe mushroom will not create problems, in numerous recipes it will replace champignons, white varieties, and the dish will only benefit from this. The fruiting bodies are characterized by a pronounced mushroom smell, reminiscent of roasted nuts, and a sweetish taste. They can be used raw for salad or cooked.
To preserve the taste, they need to be cooked quickly, heat treatment should not last more than 15 minutes. The flesh does not darken at the cut points, so there is no need to pre-soak. To prepare a dish, eringes are not pre-boiled, since there are no toxins in the composition, and there is no bitterness in the taste.
How to prepare eringi for cooking
The purchased steppe oyster mushrooms are of the same size. Be sure to pay attention to the quality of the product. The cap should be light or dark brown, firm, without damage, and the stem should be white, without black or yellow areas. It will not work to prepare a quality product from stale raw materials.
When harvesting, preference is given to young specimens, overripe or damaged by insects are not taken. In old fruit bodies, the structure of the leg is rigid; only the cap is used to prepare the dish.
You can prepare steppe white specimens after preliminary processing:
- Fruit bodies are well examined, if there is minor damage, they are cut out.
- A few centimeters are removed from the base of the leg, there may be particles of mycelium or soil on it.
- The treated eringi are washed under running water, the protective film is not removed.
- There is no need to remove the lamellar layer, the damaged areas are cleaned off with a knife.
Attention! Before cooking, eringi are divided into large pieces.
If the fruiting body is not more than 10 cm in length, it is cut into 6 longitudinal parts together with the cap. The species can grow to an impressive size, there are specimens with a diameter of the upper part up to 20 cm, which means that the leg will also be thick and rather high. It will be easier to prepare large, but not old specimens if the leg is cut into rings about 2-3 cm wide, and the cap into arbitrary parts.
How much to cook steppe mushrooms
If it is necessary to cook soup or freeze fruit bodies, eringi are boiled. To prepare the first course, boil the vegetables that are part of the recipe, put steppe oyster mushrooms 15 minutes before the dish is ready. For freezing, the fruit bodies are boiled. After that, they become elastic and maintain their integrity. For this processing method, the workpiece is placed in boiling water for 5 minutes.
To prepare steppe oyster mushroom, it is cut lengthwise into several parts.
How to cook eringi mushrooms
Steppe oyster mushrooms can be prepared according to various recipes. Fruit bodies are baked in the oven along with potatoes, onions, bell peppers. Stew with vegetables, poultry, pork or veal. Add royal oyster mushroom closer to the end of the process, when no more than 10-15 minutes remain until the dish is ready.
The most common recipe is fried mushrooms; yeringi are cooked in butter or vegetable oil. It is enough to fry in a hot frying pan for 5 minutes on one side and the same amount of time on the other.
Important! Spices are used in a minimal amount or not added, so as not to change the taste and aroma for the worse.
Soup is cooked with and without potatoes. If vegetables are present in the recipe, then eringi are placed before the potatoes are ready, and not vice versa. The onions are not sautéed to preserve the mushroom smell, finely chop and add raw oyster mushrooms before cooking. It is recommended to use bay leaves in the first courses, you can add a little fresh parsley, dill if desired, since this type of greens will dominate the soup by smell.
If the harvest is plentiful, it is processed for winter harvesting. Fruit bodies are ideal for pickling, pickling, they keep the aroma dry. A good way to cook eringi for the winter is to freeze it in boiled form.
Eering mushroom recipes
A quick and delicious recipe for how to cook royal oyster mushrooms:
- Fruit bodies are cut into large pieces.
- They make a batter, beat an egg, add salt to it.
- Heat the pan with a minimum amount of oil; during heat treatment, the raw material will give juice.
- The pieces are dipped in batter, then rolled in breadcrumbs.
Fry for about 5 minutes on one side and the other. At the end of cooking, the product should be crusty.
Below is a popular recipe for baking eringi mushrooms in the oven along with asparagus. Set of components:
- asparagus - 400 g;
- fruit bodies cut into longitudinal lines - 200 g;
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons l .;
- hard cheese - 40 g;
- salt and ground pepper to taste.
You can cook using the following technology:
- Preheat the oven to 200 0
- Cover the baking sheet with a baking sheet.
- Stir asparagus and royal oyster mushrooms, spread on a leaf.
- Withstand 7 minutes, mix the products, salt.
- Bake until tender for another 10 minutes.
Take out a baking sheet, spread the contents, sprinkle with pepper and grated cheese.
You can make yeringi with sour cream, the recipe will be a good addition to meat dishes. Components:
- sour cream - 150-200 g;
- eringi - 0.5 kg;
- butter - ½ pack;
- a small onion and salt.
You can prepare as follows:
- Sliced fruit bodies are placed in a cold frying pan, kept until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add butter, fry for 5 minutes.
- Finely chop the onion and add to the oyster mushrooms.
- Fry until golden brown, stirring constantly.
- Sour cream is introduced, the container is covered and kept on a minimum mode for 15 minutes, so that the liquid boils slightly.
If desired, the finished dish can be lightly sprinkled with allspice.
Making asparagus eringi is easy and inexpensive.
How to cook eringi for the winter
The species gives a bountiful harvest and bears fruit within three weeks. There are enough mushrooms to prepare a one-time meal and preparation for the winter. Fruit bodies are used for pickling, pickling and drying.
How to salt steppe mushrooms
Small fruiting bodies are taken for salting, they will be processed along with the leg. If it is necessary to use large specimens, the leg is removed and only the caps are salted. Legs can be dried and ground into powder, it is used in cooking to enhance the mushroom smell. Spice set for 2 kg of mushrooms:
- table salt - 250 g;
- peppercorns - 7 pcs.;
- bay leaf - 2 pcs.;
- vinegar - 70 ml.
You can cook mushrooms according to the following recipe:
- Steppe white specimens are cut into pieces.
- Sprinkle with salt in a wide container and mix well.
- For salting, take a wooden, glass or enamel dish, tightly lay the workpiece.
- Spread pepper and bay leaves evenly.
- A load is placed on top.
The product will be ready in a month.
How to pickle steppe mushrooms
To prepare royal oyster mushrooms for the winter, there are many recipes with different sets of spices. A simple preparation option:
- Fruit bodies are cut into pieces.
- Placed in a container, pour water about 4 cm above the mushroom mass. Boil for 15 minutes.
- The workpiece is taken out, left until the liquid is completely drained.
- Return the product to the pan, pour in approximately the same amount of water.
- After the liquid boils, I add salt, peppercorns and laurel, taste it, the marinade for steppe mushrooms in salt should be a little more than the usual taste.
- The mass boils for 35 minutes, vinegar is added in small portions before finishing.
The mushrooms are taken out of the boiling marinade with a slotted spoon and placed in sterilized jars, liquid is added and rolled up. This cooking method will keep the product for a long time.
How to freeze eringi
You can freeze the workpiece raw. This method will require more time and space in the freezer. Fruit bodies are processed, cut and laid out in a thin layer in a chamber, the plane is preliminarily covered with paper or cellophane. The raw materials must be dry. After a few hours, the workpiece is packed in bags or containers, left in the freezer.
A more compact way of storage is boiled or fried steppe white specimens. The method of frying does not differ from the recipe for making mushrooms (only without onions and spices). The cooled eringi are tightly packed in packing bags or containers and frozen. Boiled mushrooms are stored in the same way.
Terms and conditions of storage
In frozen form, steppe oyster mushrooms are stored at a maximum sub-zero temperature for up to 6 months. Pickled and salted - in the basement or in the pantry room. A salted blank has a shelf life of about 10 months, mushrooms in a marinade are suitable for consumption for 2 years.
There are many recipes for making eringi for serving and preparing for the winter. The steppe species has a high nutritional value and is versatile in processing. Grows in the South, Central and European part in April or May.