Chokeberry and cherry leaf liqueur lives up to the name more than any homemade liqueur. Astringent taste and beneficial properties of chokeberry are not lost in the drink. Cherry shades complement the bouquet, make it rich. Initially, liqueurs were invented by French monks as a way to sweeten not the most delicious herbal medicines, a slight bitterness is their classic feature. Therefore, a viscous alcoholic drink made from medicinal black berries with a cherry aroma is definitely worth a try.
Secrets of making cherry liqueur from black chokeberry and cherry leaves
If you carefully follow the recipe and follow the instructions, then using chokeberry, you can make a drink indistinguishable from cherry. Its flavor will be deeper and the astringent notes will balance the sweetness. Such "cherry" liqueur, taken in moderate doses, will tone and heal blood vessels, reduce blood pressure, and maintain immunity.
A prerequisite for the successful production of liqueur from the fruits of chokeberry is the quality of the raw materials. The berries must be picked on time, properly prepared, and the cherry leaves must be processed so as not to lose their aroma.
The main factors affecting the quality of the finished liquor:
- The later the chokeberry fruits are harvested, the better their taste. After the first freezing, the balance of sugars and bitterness in the berries is optimal for making liqueur.
- If the berries are removed before the cold weather, they should be placed in the freezer for a day. This technique loosens the dense skin of the chokeberry and reduces the astringent taste.
- Cherry leaves are chosen whole, dark-colored. They contain more odorous substances.
- Blackberry provides excellent color and consistency, cherry leaves are more responsible for taste and aroma. Best of all, the raw material gives off odorous substances with prolonged infusion, it is undesirable to boil it for a long time.
- The sweetness level and alcoholic strength of the cherry liqueur are easy to adjust. It is enough to change the proportions of sugar and the amount of alcohol in the recipe.
Attention! Most homemade chokeberry and cherry leaf liqueur recipes involve light drinks with an alcohol content of up to 25%.
It is this concentration of alcohol that does not harm the healing effect of chokeberry.
To prepare the fruits of the black chokeberry, they need to be sorted out, removing damaged, dried, unripe specimens. Cherry leaves and berries are washed in running water, then excess moisture is allowed to drain. Only after that they begin to create a fragrant drink.
A classic recipe for black chokeberry and cherry leaf liqueur
A properly prepared liqueur will have the color, taste, aroma of cherries, although not a single berry of this culture will have to be added to it. For a classic recipe, you will need the following components:
- water and vodka (40%) equally - 500 ml each;
- cherry leaves - about 50 g (at least 30 pieces);
- black rowan berries - 500 g;
- citric acid - 15 g;
- sugar - 500 g
The traditional method of making liqueur requires fermentation of the raw material, but chokeberry berries contain few yeast cultures and many bactericidal substances that impede the development of the process. Therefore, it is easier to create a low-alcohol drink bypassing this stage.
The process of making liquor step by step:
- Place chokeberry with cherry leaves in a cooking container, enamel or stainless steel, pour water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover with a lid and immediately remove the dishes from the heat.
- The workpiece is insisted until it cools completely, and then placed in the refrigerator for 8-10 hours. The cherry leaves will have time to give their aroma and color to the drink, and the dense pulp of the blackberry will soften.
- Strain the broth, and squeeze the rest of the mass, trying to get all the juice.
- In the same cooking utensil, the infusion is mixed with the squeezed liquid, sugar, citric acid are added, and put on fire.
- Heating and stirring the composition, achieve complete dissolution of the grains. It is not necessary to boil the workpiece.
- After removing the container from the fire, wait for the liquid to cool down to room temperature. Only after that vodka is poured in.
Chokeberry liqueur with cherry leaves ready to be bottled. You can taste the drink right away, but it will show its best qualities not earlier than after 30 days. Choose to store homemade liquor in dark glass bottles with tight corks.
Liqueur with 100 cherry and chokeberry leaves
An original and simple recipe for aronia berry liqueur, in which not only cherry leaves are counted. This method gives a composition with a different shade, its strength is less, and the taste is thinner.
- for 100 cherry leaves, the same number of blackberry berries are counted;
- 1000 ml of filtered water;
- 500 ml of quality vodka;
- 250 mg sugar;
- 10 g citric acid.
The preparation of liqueur is similar to the classic recipe from chokeberry, only the number of components changes. All stages are sequentially repeated. The finished cherry liqueur can not be bottled immediately, but left in a large jar with a tightly closed lid for several weeks to ripen. After that, you need to track whether a precipitate has appeared, and carefully drain the pure infusion from it.
Black chokeberry and cherry and raspberry leaf liqueur
Even more summer aromas will be collected from black chokeberry and leaves of other garden plants. Raspberry goes well with cherry flavor. Its leaves have a more delicate taste, delicate consistency, so you need to be especially careful so that the raw materials are not digested, otherwise the liquor will turn out cloudy.
The proportions of laying products for 1 kg of chokeberry:
- cherry and raspberry leaves - 30 pcs.;
- alcohol (90%) - 300 ml;
- water - 1000 ml;
- sugar - 300 g
Alcohol can be replaced with a triple rate of vodka. This homemade drink will have a strength close to 20% or more herbaceous flavor.
- Compote is boiled from berries and water, adding sugar after boiling. Heating time -15 minutes.
- Lay raspberry and cherry leaves. Boil for a few minutes.
- The broth is cooled. The berries can be crushed a little to give the juice.
- Pour the liquid together with the berries and cherry leaves into a large container.
- Add alcohol, cover with a lid, insist for about 15 days.
The ripened drink is filtered, squeezing out all the liquid from the raw material. Filtered chokeberry liqueur is bottled and sealed.
Blackberry liqueur with cherry and currant leaves
Different shades of taste can be obtained by introducing other garden crops into recipes. Currants give a bright berry aroma. To obtain this kind of cherry liqueur, it is enough to replace the raspberry leaves in the previous recipe in the same proportion.
Increasing or decreasing the bookmark affects the final taste. If it is desirable to preserve the cherry-like flavor of the drink, there should be twice as many corresponding leaves as currant leaves.
Blackberry leaf and berry liqueur
Black mountain ash liqueur with cherry leaves can be additionally enriched with beneficial substances contained in the green parts of chokeberry. Such an additive will allow the composition to show choleretic, anti-inflammatory properties, and improve the composition of the blood.
Important! Concentrated drinks from blackberry are not recommended for use with high blood clotting and low blood pressure.
Alcoholic infusions of the plant are absolutely contraindicated in case of increased acidity of the stomach.
The amount of raw cherry and chokeberry is calculated equally. The rest of the preparation does not differ from the recipes given. Chokeberry leaves also do not tolerate prolonged heating, they should not be boiled for a long time.
Chokeberry liqueur with cherry leaves and lemon
Citric acid enriches the sweet taste of the liqueur, making it less cloying. Citrus fruits are also used to neutralize unwanted astringency if the blackberry berries are excessively bitter.
By using the lemon together with the peel, a fresh bouquet of citrus notes is obtained. But the zest can overpower the delicate cherry aroma. Most often, only juice is used in home recipes.
Blackberry and cherry leaf liqueur with vanilla
A drink prepared with the addition of spices is recommended to be aged longer than previous formulations. Spices give off their taste gradually. Liqueur from cherry leaves and chokeberry, to which vanilla pods are added, requires infusion for 3 months. The velvety taste of this aged drink has been compared to Amaretto.
- chokeberry - 250 g;
- vanilla - ½ pod or 0.5 tsp. powder;
- cherry leaf - 20 pcs.;
- citric acid - 1 tsp;
- vodka without fragrances - ½ l;
- sugar - ½ kg;
- water - 1l.
The rowan is poured with water and boiled for about 10 minutes. Leaves are placed in a saucepan, heated for another 2 minutes. If natural vanilla is used, add it at this stage. After removing from the heat, let the broth cool, grind, squeeze the blackberry, filter everything. The vanilla pieces can be returned to the solution for further infusion.
Sugar, soluble packaged vanillin is added to the resulting liquid, if natural vanillin is not at hand. Bring the mixture to a boil, add acid and immediately stop heating.
The cooled drink is combined with vodka and left to ripen in a cold place for 90 days. At the end of the period, the liquor is filtered and bottled. It can now be stored at room temperature.
Black chokeberry liqueur with cherry leaves and mint
Spicy herb is able to give a viscous, dense drink notes of menthol freshness. Chokeberry liqueur with mint has a very unusual invigorating bouquet and pleasant aftertaste.
The best reviews get drinks from a mixture of several types of plant materials. Mint sprigs are added along with cherry, raspberry, currant ingredients. The processing is no different. Shoots and green parts of plants should be added or removed from the composition at the same time. Subject to the proportions, mint does not affect the color, enriching only the aroma and taste.
Chokeberry cherry liqueur with cloves
The spice application adds warming, deep aromas to the chokeberry. In the recipe with cloves, rich citrus flavors are appropriate; orange or lemon zest is quite applicable here.
Composition, calculated for 1 kg of prepared blackberry berries:
- alcohol (96%) - 0.5 l;
- vodka (40%) - 0.5 l;
- water - 0.2 l;
- sugar - 0.5 kg.;
- carnation buds - 5-6 pcs.;
- cherry leaves - 30 pcs.;
- a pinch of vanilla powder;
- zest taken from lemon and small orange.
To prepare a spicy drink resembling Mulled wine, you will need to make an alcoholic extract from spices with black chokeberry.
- Blanched chokeberry is lightly kneaded and placed in a large glass jar.
- Pour cloves, zest, vanillin, leaves there.
- Pour in the entire amount of alcohol, stir. Insist for at least a month.
When the alcohol extract is ready, it is drained from the sediment, the liquid from the extraction of the berries is added, and it is filtered. Syrup is boiled from water with sugar, which, after cooling, can be combined with tincture. The strong composition requires aging for about 90 days, after which it gains full flavor.
Cherry, Aronia, and Orange Liqueur Recipe
Citrus can be added to any basic recipe. The orange in cherry-leaf liqueurs based on chokeberry has a more subtle effect on the palate than lemon. It will hardly affect the sweetness of the drink, but it will add flavors.
If you decide to use the whole orange, you can chop it and add it to the blackberry broth before steeping. But it is better to separate the fruit by introducing the zest and juice separately. They have different ways of giving back their taste.
The juice is poured in before the end of the heat treatment. In basic recipes, this is the moment the citric acid is added. The zest can be infused in the same way as cherry leaves. It is worth adding and removing them from the drink at the same time.
Cherry Leaves and Black Rowan Liqueur with Honey
The beekeeping product will make the liquor even healthier and thicken the liquid. In any recipes with chokeberry, it is permissible to replace up to half of the sugar with honey.
Attention! Honey cannot be boiled, otherwise it loses its healing properties.
It is added to liqueurs based on chokeberry after the mixture has cooled to 40 ° C.
Another way of introducing honey into recipes suggests mixing it with the infusion just before packaging. Such an additive is well suited to a spicy composition with cloves, where honey can replace all the sugar.
Cherry blackberry liqueur with rosemary
Certain strong spices emphasize the cherry flavor well in aronia liqueurs, where cherry leaves play a key role in creating the bouquet. One of these herbs is rosemary.
Ingredients for creating a "cherry" liqueur from 1000 g of blackberries:
- cherry leaves - at least 100 pcs.;
- food alcohol - 0.5 l;
- water - 1 l;
- vanillin - 1 tsp;
- sprig of rosemary;
- medium orange;
- small lemon.
- Prepared black chokeberry berries, washed cherry leaves, rosemary are placed in a saucepan.
- Top up with water, boil the components at low heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pour in sugar. Heating should be continued until the grains dissolve, after which citrus juice is poured in, vanilla is added.
- You do not need to boil the composition anymore. It is cooled and insisted in the cold for 24 hours.
- The settled mixture is filtered, and the black chokeberry with cherry leaves is carefully squeezed through a filter cloth.
- Add alcohol, stir, pour the composition into a glass bottle, close the neck tightly.
The finished "cherry" liqueur with rosemary is additionally filtered after 60 days. During this time, it will fully ripen, acquire a harmonious taste.
Chokeberry liqueur with cherry leaves on cognac
A very noble aftertaste is obtained for liqueurs prepared with cognac. The astringency of blackberry with oak notes is an original combination for sweet alcoholic beverages.
To obtain exactly the liqueur taste and consistency, first prepare a cognac extract with honey, and then mix it with sweet syrup.
The composition of the chokeberry cognac liqueur:
- black mountain ash - 400 g;
- cognac - 500 ml;
- honey - 2 tbsp. l .;
- chopped oak bark - 1 pinch.
The prepared fruits are poured into a glass vessel with a wide neck, honey, dry bark are added, cognac is poured in, and mixed. Insist the mixture for at least 4 months, shaking occasionally. In the last 10 days, sediment separates, so the container is not disturbed at this time.
To prepare sugar syrup, cherry leaves are pre-infused with boiled water (about 12 hours). To 500 ml of liquid add from 500 to 1000 g of sugar, depending on the desired sweetness. The mixture is heated. When the grains are completely dissolved and the syrup has cooled down, you can pour in the filtered cognac extract.
The bottled beverage gains flavor within 14 days. After that, the black chokeberry liqueur on cognac can be served to the table.
Rules for the storage and use of black chokeberry liqueur with cherry leaves
The sweet alcoholic beverage keeps well at room temperature. The main rule for blackberry is to avoid direct sunlight. To protect the composition from exposure to light, dark glass dishes are often chosen.
For serving, it is customary to pour the liqueur into small (up to 50 ml) glasses narrowed at the bottom. The drink tastes better if it is chilled beforehand.
Like cognac, black chokeberry liqueur can be served separately from meals. Coffee, fruits, chocolate products serve as a good accompaniment to the drink.
Chokeberry liqueur and cherry leaves can be called not only a culinary masterpiece, but also a way to support immunity, maintain vascular health, and avoid colds in the cold. The warming sweetness of the drink with a moderate amount of alcohol is appropriate for the holidays and can lift your mood after a hard day. It should be remembered that the healing properties of the chokeberry with alcohol are preserved only with moderate use.