Rose Midsummer is a compact perennial plant with abundant flowering on last year's stems and shoots of the current season. The culture is frost-resistant, light-loving, varietal qualities are fully revealed in a temperate climate, in the south they are grown in partial shade.
The floribunda group includes numerous varieties created by hybridization of polyanthus rose, muscat rose and hybrid tea. All representatives are distinguished by abundant flowering, frost resistance and high resistance to infections. Rose Midsummer, belongs to the floribunda group, the variety was created in 2007 on the basis of the Tantau nursery in Germany. The variety is compact and does not grow more than 1 m. English breeder David Austin has gone beyond the standard Midsummer size and created the climbing variety. The hybrid retained all external and biological features, but became much taller.
Description of climbing rose floribunda Midsummer and characteristics
The English Midsummer branch rose from the floribunda variety inherited the abundant flowering of large flowers, and strong long stems from the hybrid tea representative.
What does the Midsummer variety look like:
- It grows in the form of a compact bush with a diameter of 60 cm. Stems are numerous, their length ranges from 1.5 to 1.8 m, this is a medium-sized representative of the species. Shoots are stiff, branched, intensely leafy, flexible. Stems are brown with a brown tint.
- The first buds open in the second half of June on the shoots of the past year, the cycle lasts until August. Then two weeks pass and the second wave of budding begins on the stems of the current season. Flowers on the bushes appear before frost.
- Leaves cover the rose bush profusely. They are arranged in 3 pieces. on petioles of medium length. The shape of the leaf plates is rounded, oblong, pointed at the top. Leaves are leathery, dark green, surface with a glossy sheen, smooth edges.
- The buds are collected in simple paniculate inflorescences of 4-9 pcs., Single, but rare. Floribunda Midsummer rose, double type, orange-red. The central part of the flower can be light burgundy with a yellow tint, the outer petals are darker, the lower part is orange.
- The root system is deepened up to 50 cm.
Important! The thorns in Midsummer are weak, the thorns are rare, thornless, short, at the end of the shoots are presented in the form of rudiments.
The rose got its name Midsummer (mid-summer) during the main flowering.
Climbing floribunda has a good indicator of frost resistance, tolerates a drop in temperature to -27 0C. Requires shelter in regions with more severe winters. If the shoots are damaged, the plant quickly recovers at the beginning of the season, in case of freezing of the root, it gets sick and lags behind in development.
The drought resistance of the Midsummer floribunda variety is high; it reacts more calmly to the absence of moisture than to waterlogged soils. In regions with a temperate climate, the rose is placed in an open place; in the south, periodic shading is recommended so that at noon the Midsummer floribunda is not under the bright sun. If placed incorrectly, the flowers lose their turgor, droop and wither, burns are possible on the leaves.
Floribunda roses of the Midsummer variety do not tolerate the influence of the north wind. The site for culture is allocated protected from drafts, near the wall of a building or a solid fence. You can place the rose near trees, but they should not create permanent shadow.
The soil must be enriched with minerals and organic matter. It must be well aerated. A prerequisite for growth is drainage. Do not plant a floribunda rose in wetlands, in ravines where rainwater accumulates.
Important! The composition of the soil should be neutral, if the reaction on the site does not meet the biological requirements of Midsummer, it is corrected.
The growth rate of the floribunda rose is slow. The bush has been growing in one place without transplants for more than 12 years.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
A feature of the Midsummer variety is that climbing stems form only in the central part. Their number is no more than 1/3 of the total number of shoots. Lateral branches do not exceed 1 m, so the lower part is denser in terms of budding. Climbing floribunda is popular with gardeners because of the following benefits:
- unusual colors of chameleon rose petals. In cloudy weather, red prevails, in sunny weather - orange;
- a perennial plant blooms without transplant for many years;
- compact bush;
- the flowering period is long due to the repeated cycle;
- a good indicator of frost resistance;
- floribunda rose is undemanding to watering;
- agricultural technology standard for culture.
The disadvantages of the variety include poor tolerance to direct sunlight, waterlogging of the soil. With prolonged rains, the flowers freeze and lose their decorative effect. Constant feeding is required.
The climbing Midsummer variety is not propagated by seed. This rose is a hybrid representative of the floribunda group and therefore does not produce material that retains varietal characteristics. It is possible to grow seedlings from seeds, but they will not remotely resemble the parent plant.
Only with vegetative propagation can the appearance of the Midsummer rose, which meets the varietal characteristics, be preserved.
Cuttings are obtained from green stems and woody ones, they have the same rooting
From last year's shoots, the material is cut after the completion of the first wave of flowering, from young ones - in the fall.
To obtain layering in the spring, the extreme stem in the bush is bent to the ground, fixed and covered with soil. Layers are insulated for the winter. In the spring (after germination of the sprouts) they are cut and planted.
Important! The rose bush can be divided, but the adult Midsummer floribunda does not respond well to transplantation, the plant's survival rate is weak.
Growing and care
A rose is planted on the site in spring or autumn; work at the end of the season is more preferable. The plant enters a dormant phase and adapts more easily to a new place. The pit is drained and the bottom is covered with a fertile substrate with the addition of complex mineral fertilizers. Place the rose so that the inoculation site is 5–8 cm deeper.
The subsequent agrotechnology of the floribunda Midsummer consists of the following activities:
- In order for a sufficient amount of oxygen to enter the root, the soil is loosened as it compresses.
- Weeds must be removed.
- When watering, precipitation is taken into account. The culture needs 30 liters of water per week.
- Floribunda Midsummer loses its decorative effect if it lacks nutrition. Rose responds well to organics. Fertilizer is applied in spring, during budding, flowering and before wintering. From mineral resources, nitrogen is used at the beginning of the season. Potassium and phosphate are added in the middle of summer.
In the fall, the rose is removed from the support, the old stems are cut off, only the shoots of the current year are left. Water charging is carried out, covered with mulch. In regions with risky farming, arches are installed near the rose and covered with insulating material.
Pests and diseases
The main threat to the Midsummer floribunda is black spot and powdery mildew. In the fight against fungal infection, "Fitosporin" is effective.
Of the pests on the Midsummer variety, they parasitize:
- Aphid. When it is found, sections of the crown with the main accumulation of pests are cut off. The whole bush is treated with Confidor.
- Spider mite. You can rarely find it on a floribunda rose, they get rid of it with "Agravertine".
- Rose leaf roll. In the season of active spread of the pest, it can cause the death of the plant. From her they use Iskra.
For preventive purposes, in the spring, when the leaves bloom, the Midsummer rose is treated with colloidal sulfur
Application in landscape design
It is recommended to place the Midsummer climbing floribunda near the support. It can be a variety of designs in the form of an arch, column, pyramid, trellis. The fixing element can be a fence or a wall of a building with a mesh fixed to it. The rose is used for vertical gardening:
- decorate gazebos;
- delimit the zones of the garden, growing near wide trellises;
- decorate fences, residential buildings;
- create arches.
An unpretentious plant with a bright color can decorate any corner of the site:
- Roses and heather are combined not only in color, but also in biological requirements.
- The composition, created on the contrast of colors, will help to decorate the arched structure.
- The rose can be used for hedge trimming.
- Wooden trellises with woven roses will allow you to divide the site into zones.
- Floribunda Midsummer can be used to decorate the walls of a building.
Rosa Midsummer is a representative of the large-flowered floribunda group. Due to its high frost resistance, the climbing variety is grown in the Central and Middle zone, in the Urals, in Siberia. Drought resistance allows cultivating the variety in the subtropical zone. Use the plant for vertical landscaping in gardens and backyards.
Reviews with a photo of a climbing rose floribunda Midsummer
Zoya Romashkina, 38 years old, Nizhny Novgorod
I have had a climbing variety of Midsummer on my site for five years. The bush is planted near the fence. I placed a pink seedling nearby. The two varieties match well in color.
Raisa Petrova, 40 years old, Pyatigorsk
I bought a Midsummer rose with a bright red-orange color, as it was in the picture for the seedling. I met all the requirements of agricultural technology, the rose bloomed in the fourth year, but not like in the picture. Ordinary medium double variety. There is very little orange color. In the photo I took the most successful inflorescence, but here it was not without spoiled flowers.
The flowers wither and wither quickly, I do not have time to cut, the petals are prone to fading