To get a fresh harvest of cucumbers earlier, gardeners plant seedlings in the ground. There are many tips on how to properly grow it at home. The finished seedlings are placed in moist soil. An experienced gardener will provide shelter for young plants in the form of a special film.
What days to plant cucumber seedlings
In order for the seedlings to take root well in the garden in 2021, they need to be planted on time. If you wait for the plants to bloom on the windowsill, after planting in the soil, they may not produce a crop.
On average, 20-25 days are enough for seedlings, and she will be ready to move to the garden. Focusing on this period, you can calculate when it is time to sow cucumbers for seedlings in 2021. Plants need to be planted in the ground, which have 2-3 full-fledged leaves. In 2021, the ideal time to plant seedlings is in the second half of April and May.
Important! You can plant cucumbers in the ground in warm weather, provided that the air temperature is +5 degrees and higher at night.
Cucumbers are planted in the following order: first, self-pollinated greenhouse varieties, then cucumbers for film shelters, the latter for open ground. For seedlings in 2021, the dates are as follows:
The plant, ready for planting, has a couple of large leaves, and its roots occupy a pot. In order for the sprouts to adapt better, a week before moving into the ground, they need to be held at a lower temperature (+18 degrees), and placed near an open window. However, delicate seedlings must be protected from direct sunlight.
When to plant seedlings according to the lunar calendar
To grow a rich harvest, you need to properly prepare the seedlings and plant them at a favorable time for this. When a transplant falls on a new moon or full moon, it negatively affects the growth and development of plants. If you focus on the lunar calendar, you can avoid such days.
In addition to the general rules and the lunar calendar, the climatic features of the region where the landing is planned should be taken into account. For example, in the Urals, the soil warms up only by mid-May. Therefore, the seedlings are transferred to open ground no earlier than June 5-12. At night, the bed is covered with a film.
In the regions of the Far East and Siberia, cucumbers can only be grown in greenhouses. At the same time, in order to maintain a sufficiently high temperature, so-called warm beds are arranged. They are made from a mixture with manure or compost. Due to chemical reactions in such soil, the temperature rises.
An important role is played by the microclimate in the room where the pots with seedlings will be located. At an air temperature of about 23-25 degrees, the seeds will germinate within three days after sowing. If the temperature does not even reach 20 degrees, it will take a week to wait for green sprouts. They may not ascend at all.
Important! Cucumbers are thermophilic plants. For them, it is better to choose a place where there is a lot of sunlight and there is no draft.
Where to place seedlings
When growing seedlings at home, it becomes necessary to transplant plants into open ground. In doing so, it is important to prevent root damage. One way to do this is by planting the plants in organic pots, which can then be placed entirely in the ground. There are several options.
- Peat tablets. In them, the seeds will germinate quickly. When the sprouts become cramped in them, they are planted in a bed with a film cover or in a greenhouse.
- Peat pot. It is recommended to place it in a plastic container to reduce evaporation of the liquid and prevent the soil from drying out. Immediately before planting, the peat walls are slightly crushed. Then their decomposition will accelerate, and the roots will be able to germinate freely in the soil.
- A pot from a newspaper sheet. An economical alternative to a peat container. You can also place seedlings in the ground with a pot. It is worth considering that such a container will not last long.
- Eggshell. This method is suitable for germinating seeds. A large sprout will not develop there, it will not have enough soil. However, germinating the seeds a week before planting in open ground will be quite appropriate.
- A plastic cup. Perhaps the most common way. Jars of yogurt and similar containers will do. Several holes need to be made in the bottom for oxygen supply. When the seedlings are ready for planting in open ground, the glass is simply cut open, and all its contents are placed in the soil. Then sprinkle the sprout with earth and lightly tamp it.
It will take a long time to prepare the seedlings of cucumbers. It is important to correctly plant the plants in the soil without damaging their roots. Subject to all the recommendations, preparing seedlings will allow you to grow fresh cucumbers earlier.
How to prepare the soil
In order for the sprouts to take root quickly and give a good harvest, the soil in the garden must be prepared. The following are the main steps.
- Top dressing, there should be enough organic compounds in the ground.
- Moisturize just before planting.
- Well preparation.
The best result is obtained by planting seedlings under a shelter. The young plant is still too tender, and it must be protected from possible night frosts and other adverse effects.
In 2021, the optimal time for planting seedlings in open ground is the end of May or the first decade of June. If the night frosts have not yet passed, it is correct to provide a shelter for the cucumbers. On top of the seedlings, arcs of wire or wood are attached, and a special film is laid on them. As soon as warmth is established, the shelter can be removed.
Features of care will depend largely on the selected variety of cucumbers. In this case, any seedlings transferred to the ground will require:
- timely moistening of the soil;
- loosening the earth;
- bush formation;
The sprouts are planted at a distance of 30-40 cm from each other. Planting cucumbers closer is not recommended. The exact meaning can be found on the seed bag.
Cucumbers are thermophilic and need regular watering. It should be especially abundant in the heat. Plants require more moisture when flowers and ovaries appear. It is correct to use warm water for watering cucumbers.
Important! If you water the cucumbers correctly, the ripened vegetables will not have a bitter taste.
To get a good harvest of cucumbers in 2021, it is worth preparing the seedlings correctly. Seeds must be sown 20-25 days before the planned planting in open ground. The best time to place plants in the beds is from late May to early June. It is recommended to cover young plants to protect them from adverse environmental influences.