It is not difficult to build a garden bed fence, however, it will still take some effort, most of all aimed at processing the material. Whether it is a board, slate or corrugated board, they will have to be sawed, then fastened to get a durable box. But what if you urgently need to install a decorative fence? A border strip for beds made of plastic or rubber will come to the rescue.
What benefits will the landlord get from using the curb tape?
The name "curb tape" already speaks about the purpose of this product. The material is designed to replace traditional concrete curbs. After all, it is more convenient to fence a lawn or a flower bed with tape than to lay concrete fences. In addition to decorative use, the product is popular among gardeners for arranging beds.
The benefits of using a flexible border are obvious:
- The decorative side allows you to divide a large area into zones. Let's say the installed tape will clearly highlight the boundaries of the lawn, a small pond in the yard, a flower bed, an area around a tree, etc.
- Different plants can grow in each of the broken zones. The grower may not have to worry about mixing them during the growing season.
- The curb prevents soil from washing out from the garden bed. During watering, the water stays under the plants, and does not flow down to the path near the garden.
- The tape-insulated area 100% ensures that the fertilizer applied only reaches the plants growing on it, and not all the weeds.
Advice! If you attach the curb tape to the bottom of the picket fence, you get an excellent fence that helps prevent the entry of neighboring chickens and other small birds, as well as animals, into the area.
So, why should we give preference to the border tape, if any material can cope with all these questions? Why is the delimitation of tape better from slate or boards?
We will try to find answers to these questions in the advantages of using this material:
- The curbs are easy to install. The roll can be easily transported to the dacha or to any other place. It is enough to dig a groove, dig in the curb and the fence is ready. If necessary, the tape is simply pulled out of the ground and installed in a new location.
- A large selection of colors of the product allows you to build beautiful fences, create entire design designs for the site.
- Due to the plasticity of the material, it is possible to create beds of any geometric shapes. For example, a fence with multiple bends cannot be made from slate or planks.
- The material is not afraid of the aggressive effects of the natural environment. Changes in temperature, moisture, drought and sun will not harm such a fence.
- The wear resistance of the product determines the duration of operation. Borders can be used many times for different purposes.
And the last plus that any owner likes is the low cost of the product.
Most often, green or brown ribbons are used for beds and flower beds. The choice is due to the minimum highlighting of the borders against the background of grass or soil. In design projects, products of other colors are used, sometimes even bright ones. Multi-colored fences decorate multi-tiered flower beds and other objects that fall into the designer's field of view.
The video shows the border tape:
Types of border tapes
There are so many varieties of border tapes that it is impossible to specifically describe all types. Manufacturers constantly come up with new designs for their products. On sale you can find ribbons from 10 to 50 cm in height. This size was not chosen by chance. With the help of a border of different heights, designers create unusually complex forms of multi-tiered flower beds. As for the thickness of the material, this figure is within 1 mm. The wall thickness can be more, but not less.
The texture of the border tape is a separate topic. Smooth products are produced, wavy, with a corrugation effect. A relief pattern can be embossed on the material, and the top edge can be made with curly trimming.
The color range of the border is very wide. The product is produced in different colors with multiple shades. Each gardener is given the opportunity to choose a garden fence to his liking and preference.
Advice! If you are an adherent of a calm style and want to organize it on your site, opt for a brown ribbon with any shades of this color.
Rules for the use of border tape
The principle of using any kind of tape is the same. For beds and flower beds, it is customary to use a product with a width of at least 20 cm. Borders are buried half of their width along the perimeter of the garden. The process is simple, but this work is best done together with an assistant. After installing the curb in the groove, it should be pulled, only then sprinkle with soil and tamp. The ends of the tape are connected to each other with an ordinary stapler.
When creating a multi-tiered flower bed, the curbs of the next level are installed in the soil of the previous tier, after which they are well rammed. After arranging all the tiers, they begin to plant decorative plantings. Multi-tiered beds and flower beds are the pride of gardeners, and organizing them is easy with the help of curb tape.
Important! It will take a lot of time and nerves to create a voluminous multi-tiered flower bed, but for a long time you can forget about maintaining the boundaries of the garden. Flexible curbs will reliably hold the ground, preserving the pristine beauty of the structure.
With the help of tape, vegetable growers manage to organize a raised bed. The fence keeps the soil from creeping very well. Moreover, the raised bed is allowed to be used repeatedly, and most often for growing early greenery. With the onset of warmth, the curbs are quickly warmed up by the sun, and the first shoots appear early on the warm soil.
A raised bed is made of tape 20–30 cm wide. After digging into the ground, the sides are reinforced with stakes. The more often the better. Compost and fertile soil are poured inside the fence.
If the gardener does not have a goal to create a raised bed, a border can simply delimit the area for planting different crops.
For what purposes is tape fencing still suitable?
A narrow tape no more than 10 cm wide is used to highlight the borders of the lawn. The curbs are dug into the ground, leaving a protrusion of about 3 cm on the surface. Moreover, the lawn is arranged so that the grass does not grow close to the curb. Otherwise, the knives will cut the protrusion during mowing with the mower.
In gardens and parks, curbs are used to enclose the near-trunk zone of shrubs and trees. The soil in the fenced area is mulched, and decorative stone is poured on top. The result is beautiful weed-free areas around trees.
It is good to fence off the fill paths with curbs. You can even separate them from the lawns. A narrow tape is dug in along the path, leaving a protrusion of 2–3 cm on the surface. To get rid of vegetation, the path is covered with black agrofibre, and gravel or fine crushed stone is poured on top. Curbs will firmly hold the bulk material, keeping the path contours for many years.
The video tells about the fencing of the beds:
Don't be afraid to experiment with curb tape. Applying your imagination, you can make a beautiful lawn, a voluminous flower garden on your small plot, or divide the garden into zones.