Raspberries have been cultivated for a long time. People are attracted not only by the taste, but also by the beneficial properties of the berries, leaves and twigs of the plant. Breeders of many countries, including Russia, pay great attention to this shrub. Every year new varieties of raspberries appear with improved biological and taste properties.
Raspberry Gusar is a creation of domestic breeders from the Bryansk region. Despite the fact that the variety is relatively young, it has many fans among gardeners. For what exactly the berries of this variety were loved, the peculiarities of growing and caring for the plant - all this will be discussed in the article.
A bit of history
Gardeners learned about the breeder Kazakov Ivan Vasilievich almost half a century ago. It was he who was one of the first to take up domestic remontant raspberries. In his collection there are many varieties, in many respects superior to other plants in large-fruited, resistance to raspberry diseases and pests.
The varieties of the collection are often called "Cossack". Repaired raspberries of this breeder are grown not only in the Russian open spaces. Gardeners of the former republics of the Soviet Union are also not averse to getting saplings of the popular raspberry.
Preference is given to many varieties, but most often they pay attention to remontant raspberries:
- Indian summer;
Video about Kazakov's varieties:
Repaired raspberry Gusar (the name alone is worth something!) Is the most in demand today. They began to cultivate Gusar in 1999. This is truly a "golden grade", distinguished by its unpretentiousness.
Kazakov managed to develop a variety that does not affect many raspberry diseases. He took the best Russian raspberries and the American Kenby variety as a basis. As a result of cross-pollination, I got the Gusar variety, the qualities of which are superior to those of the “parents”.
Much about the Gusar raspberry can be learned from the description of the variety and reviews of amateur gardeners.
- The shrub grows up to 2, 7 meters. Shoots are brown, erect, spreading bush. Powerful shoots with a waxy bloom without pubescence in the second year do not need to be supported if their height is less than 180 cm.
- Many roots do not form on the root system. Therefore, a large amount of root growth is not formed, most often from 8 to 10.
- There are few thorns, they are mainly located on the hussar raspberry in the lower part. The spines are purple, rather sharp.
- The leaves are dark green with wavy edges. The wrinkled leaves are not twisted, do not go down.
- Large berries of deep red color, dark ruby at the stage of full maturity. They stand out for their unusual shape: the berry is long and the tip is dull. The weight of sweet and sour berries is up to 4 grams. The pulp is dense, the berries practically do not crumble.
- Not subject to decay. They are distinguished by aroma and unsurpassed taste.
A brief description of the variety in the photo.
Important! You can grow raspberries Gusar in any regions of Russia.
Benefits of the variety
The repairing raspberry variety Gusar is of a medium early ripening period, it is rightfully considered one of the best berry bushes.
What are its advantages:
- Unpretentiousness. No special knowledge is required to get a rich harvest. Even beginners can do it.
- The variety is fruitful. If you follow agrotechnical standards, up to 6 kg of fragrant berries can ripen on one bush. From a hundred, under favorable conditions, you can collect up to 120 kg.
- Raspberry Gusar manages to achieve technical maturity in any region of Russia, even under adverse climatic conditions.
- A universal variety, suitable for making raspberry compotes, preserves, jams.
- Due to its excellent presentation and the ability to transport without any significant losses at any distance, this remontant variety is grown on an industrial scale.
Gusar berries differ in chemical composition:
- fructose and glucose not less than 10.9%;
- organic acids up to 1.8%;
- ascorbic acid about 27.4 mg /%.
Important! All these characteristics are an excellent recommendation for planting on the site of the Gusar remontant raspberry.
Cons of the variety
In addition to the advantages, the variety also has disadvantages:
- Due to the power of the bushes, the plant needs to allocate a lot of space on the site, given that between the plants there should be from 80 to 100 cm, and between the rows up to one and a half meters.
- At a height above 1.8 meters, you will have to tie up raspberries on trellises, with each shoot in three places. This will help the plants withstand the winds and keep the berries from shedding.
- Winter-hardy raspberry Gusar easily copes with frost, as it is covered. And in the spring, when the heat is replaced by frost, plants can die due to icing of the roots. Most often, as gardeners write in reviews, bushes of raspberry Husar, planted in autumn, do not survive in the spring.
But despite some shortcomings, gardeners prefer the young variety of the remontant red raspberry Gusar.
Features of agricultural technology
Due to the unpretentiousness of the Gusar raspberry variety, novice gardeners successfully grow it if they take into account agricultural technology.
When choosing a place for planting rows of raspberries of the Gusar variety, preference should be given to well-lit areas with fertile soil. But this does not mean that you will not have to feed the plants. Most often, gardeners use organic, mineral fertilizers and wood ash.
In the spring, after the raspberry bushes of the Gusar variety were opened, buds begin to wake up on them. Each escape must be inspected. If there is damage or the kidneys do not swell, they must be excised.
Warning! Pruning of long branches is not practiced until mid-May.
When the buds begin to bloom, fruiting shoots are cut by 10-15 centimeters. The offspring that appears are subjected to the same procedure at the end of May. The strongest shoots are left on each shoot, the rest are cut out. This is necessary so that the fruiting shoots and offspring of raspberries have enough nutrition and moisture for development and flowering.
The next pruning is carried out in June, when the shoots reach one and a half meters. The Gusar variety is shortened to a meter. The last time the raspberries are cut is at the end of July, shortening the lateral shoots.
Important! Such operations help future fruit-bearing branches to gain strength not only for the yield of the next year, but also for wintering.
Watering and feeding
Raspberry bushes are demanding on moisture, as their wild relatives grow near the water. Watering should be plentiful, especially if there has been no rain for a long time. But not to the swampy state of the soil, otherwise the roots will rot.
Attention! With insufficient watering, the plants slow down their growth, the berries on the Gusar raspberries become smaller, lose their juiciness.
To keep the moisture longer, the soil in the garden bed is mulched with humus or compost. It will be great if wood ash is added. Thus, the plants receive additional nutrition, which contributes to the better development of the bushes and the maturation of the crop.
Many novice gardeners are interested in the question of how to plant Gusar raspberries.
Like most varieties, Hussar can be propagated by cuttings. It is best to take advantage of young offspring that do not have their own roots.
Cuttings from raspberries of the Gusar variety are harvested when the offspring are 3 cm high, and they have three leaves. After cutting, they need to be tied into a bundle, treated with any growth stimulant and placed in a nutrient medium. For this, peat, earth and humus are mixed. To prevent the cuttings from dying, the substrate must always be moist.
As a rule, the root system is formed in 2-3 weeks. After another two weeks, the cuttings of the Gusar variety are ready for planting in a permanent place. It is better to plant in cloudy weather. The plants are shaded for several days. By the end of summer, raspberries grow to one and a half meters.
The raspberry variety Gusar and saplings are planted. Only you need to purchase them from reliable suppliers so as not to run into low-quality planting material. Most often because of this, negative reviews of gardeners appear.
Warning! It is better not to produce autumn planting of raspberry Hussar saplings. They often do not overwinter.
Saplings of the Gusar variety are taken from the end of May to June. The wells are prepared large - 40x50 cm, fertile soil, wood ash are added. When planting, the material is not buried; the basal bud should be above the surface. At first, the seedlings need to be watered abundantly and often.
For better rooting of the varietal raspberry Gusar, the surface around the plant is mulched with peat, humus. Some gardeners use sawdust, but only from hardwoods.
Advice! The beds with different varieties of raspberries, this also applies to the varietal raspberries Gusar, should be at a sufficient distance so that there is no cross-pollination.
Lyudmila, 49 years old, Serpukhov
I have been breeding raspberries for a long time. I tried different varieties. But I don't have raspberries of the Gusar variety yet. I already called the store - there are seedlings. I'll try to plant this year. Then I will write about the results.
Nina Vasilievna, 56 years old, Moscow
Growing raspberries is a favorite pastime. Three Hussars were brought to me two years ago. So raspberries, so raspberries, super grade. He surpassed all the others in yield. The shoots grew more than two meters, I had to tie them up. In the summer I poured ashes, and used cut grass as mulch. All season long grandchildren disappeared at the site from morning to evening. They ate berries and praised them. I also advise you to plant the Husar variety in a raspberry tree.
Tatiana, 29 years old, Irkutsk
We bought Gusar raspberries the year before last. We have already tried the berries, everyone liked it. I made compotes, preserves, jams, and froze them in bags in the refrigerator. I have never tasted more aromatic and tastier berries. We hope that the severe frosts did not harm my raspberries.
Nikolay, 33 years old, Novozybkov
What is the excitement about the Gusar variety? I did not find anything special in the berry. It tastes better.
Alexandra, 41 years old, Tomsk
We planted seedlings three years ago. Since then I have been using the Gusar variety for jam. I do not boil it, but simply grind it with sugar. When you open it in winter, the house is filled with an unimaginable aroma. Frozen berries are also one to one. Recently I read that this varietal raspberry can be dried. I'll try, then unsubscribe how it happened.
Andrey, 45 years old, Novosibirsk
I have been growing raspberries for a long time, probably twenty years. I have a large raspberry tree, there are different varieties in the beds. I mainly sell harvested berries. I have been growing the Gusar variety for more than 10 years. I have all the varieties from the best breeders, but, as a rule, the berries of the varietal raspberry Gusar are the first to go.