There are many variations of moonshine - it is made on the basis of sugar, wheat and other grains, various fruits, and so on. Plum moonshine, also known as plum brandy, is one of the common drink options.
Plum braga: cooking secrets
Making mash is the first stage in the process of making home-made moonshine from plums, and the taste of the future drink depends on its quality. There are various recipes for mash from plums for moonshine: with and without yeast, with or without added sugar. Despite the differences in recipes, all methods of making plum brandy have one thing in common - the need to carefully select fruits for making mash, since its taste will depend on their quality.
In addition to carefully selected fruits, a water seal is needed - a home-made or purchased valve that serves to remove carbon dioxide, and also prevents bacteria from entering the container.
It is possible to make mash from plums on the basis of both purchased yeast and "wild" fruits found on the skin. The cooking time depends on the chosen method.
Plum braga for moonshine without yeast
It is not difficult to make moonshine from plums without yeast, but it takes much longer than using them.
- fruit - 1 kg;
- water - 1 l;
- sugar (to taste) - 100 g.
Prepare this way:
- The fruits are prepared: they are cleaned of debris, seeds are removed. At the same time, you cannot wash them - otherwise the fermentation process will not start.
- Knead the fruit into a gruel (you can grind it in a food processor or use a blender) and add water. Add sugar if desired.
- The resulting mass is poured into a fermentation container, a water seal is installed.
- Store in a dark place for 4–5 weeks, until a precipitate forms and the liquid becomes lighter.
- After that, the liquid must be filtered through folded gauze, and so as not to shake the sediment remaining at the bottom.
Plum braga for moonshine with yeast
The recipe for moonshine from plum with yeast - dry or pressed - is not much different from a recipe that does not include them. The main difference is the shorter cooking times.
For cooking you will need:
- plum - 10 kg;
- water - 9-10 liters;
- sugar - 1 kg (to taste);
- dry yeast - 20 g.
The recipe is not much different from the previous one:
- The fruits are washed, pitted and kneaded into a homogeneous mass.
- Sugar and yeast previously diluted with warm water are added to the plum mass.
- Pour in water.
- A water seal is installed on the container and removed to a dark place.
- Store for 7-10 days until sediment settles.
- Filter through cheesecloth before distillation.
How to drain the mash without sediment
Since it is difficult to filter the mash in the process of making moonshine from plums at home through a fine filter (pieces of pulp will inevitably clog small holes, and it will easily leak through large sediment), there are two ways of decanting:
- without the use of special tools - that is, simply by tilting the container (or, for example, with a ladle) - is suitable only for small volumes;
- through a rubber tube, one end lowered into the mash, and the other into the alembic.
There are a few things to keep in mind when using the second method:
- The container with the wash is placed above the distillation apparatus.
- The wider the tube, the faster the liquid pours out.
- Before starting the procedure, the end of the hose, which is placed in the distillation cube, is purged.
- The end of the tube placed in the wash should not touch the sediment.
- The hose can be changed to a thinner one when the amount of drink is greatly reduced.
- To reduce the fluid flow rate, the hose is pinched.
Important! Before pouring the mash into the distillation apparatus, you can leave the container in cold water for several hours so that the sediment settles down better.
When pouring, the distillation container is not completely filled, approximately one fourth of the volume should remain unfilled.
A simple recipe for plum moonshine at home
The classic recipe for moonshine on a plum does not change significantly depending on how the mash was prepared.
For cooking, you will need the following ingredients:
- fruit - 10 kg;
- water - 9 l;
- sugar - 1-1.5 kg (to taste);
- dry yeast - 20 g (optional).
Prepare plum brandy as follows:
- Mash is prepared according to any of the previously mentioned recipes and left to settle until a precipitate appears.
- After the end of the fermentation process, the liquid is poured into the distillation cube through a folded gauze filter.
- Distillation is carried out twice, the first time - to a strength of 30%. Before the second distillation, the plum brandy is diluted, reducing the strength to 20%, and distilled again to the strength of 40%.
- If desired, the drink is diluted with water, poured and left to infuse for 3-5 days. At this time, it is stored in the refrigerator.
Important! During the first distillation, the first 10% of the liquid is drained, and during the secondary distillation, not only the first 10% of the drink is drained, but also the last.
Plum moonshine with seeds
You can make moonshine from plums with or without seeds. The main difference is the taste of the drink. Alcohol made from pitted fruits is more bitter.
In addition, more fruits with a stone will be needed - by about one kilogram, if their initial amount is 10 kilograms.
The rest of the recipe does not change much.
- fruit - 11 kg;
- water - 9-10 liters;
- sugar - 1.5 kg;
- dry yeast - 20 g.
Make a drink as follows:
- Peel the fruits, wash and knead until a homogeneous mass is obtained.
- The yeast is diluted with warm water and added to the mixture. Water is poured in, a water seal is installed and left to ferment for about 10-14 days.
- When the mass has settled, it is poured through a filter into a distillation cube and distilled twice, draining 10% of the liquid flowing down at the beginning of the distillation (the second time - and at the end too).
Plum moonshine with pressed yeast
When making plum moonshine at home, it makes no difference, use dry or pressed yeast for this. The difference is in their number, pressed 5 times more is needed.
- plums - 10 kg;
- sugar - 2 kg;
- water - 10 l;
- pressed yeast - 100 g
- Fruits are prepared - washed, pitted (or not - to taste), mashed.
- Sugar is poured into the water, mixed and poured into fruit puree.
- The yeast is diluted in warm water and poured into the mixture.
- Install a water seal and leave to ferment for 10-15 days until the precipitate forms.
- It is filtered and (simultaneously) poured into a distillation cube.
- Distilled twice, merging the initial and final fractions.
How to make sugar-free plum moonshine
Plum wine moonshine without added sugar is prepared according to the classic recipe with or without dry yeast. More recipes are no different, however, for a better taste, it is advisable to take fruits of sweeter varieties.
Plum moonshine is easy to prepare, which is facilitated by the variety of recipes and their variability. The peculiarity of this type of alcohol is that it requires double distillation, since it does not tolerate additional purification. But as a result, it retains the aroma and flavor of ripe fruit.