Salting tomatoes for the winter is one of the most interesting and useful types of tomato harvesting. Indeed, in salted or fermented fruits, both the natural taste and the special tenderness of the product are preserved, in contrast to pickled vegetables made with vinegar.
How to salt tomatoes for the winter
The phrase "pickling tomatoes" certainly conjures up luxurious oak barrels, in which the sacred action takes place - the transformation of tomatoes into a salty product under the influence of salt, sugar and spices. But in modern small apartments such barrels can even be placed, and then there is nowhere. In addition, it is not easy to find such containers now, and they are very expensive. Therefore, for many decades, a variety of glass containers have been especially popular for pickling tomatoes. It can be of various sizes: from 0.5 l to 5 l, or even 10 l. Although the most popular are three-liter and liter cans. Indeed, in the first, you can cook an excellent dish based on a festive table, and salted tomatoes made for the winter in liter jars are suitable for regular use by a small family of 2-3 people.
In addition, it is even easier to cook salted tomatoes in cans than in barrels - there is no need to use oppression. And the distribution of fruits during salting in many banks provides some additional insurance. If suddenly in one jar the tomatoes sour for any reason, this will not affect other containers.
Attention! Ripe fruits in jars are less deformed during salting than in large containers.
As for the choice of the fruits themselves for pickling, there are the following rules, which it is advisable to adhere to:
- Usually, oval-shaped tomato varieties are chosen for pickling, the so-called cream: De Barao, Aquarelle, Gigant Cream, Rocket, Chio-Chio-San and others.
- In principle, tomatoes of a different shape are also suitable, if they have a dense skin and fleshy flesh.
- It is better to select unripe fruits, since ripe tomatoes require particularly careful handling during the salting process and often lose their shape.
- Even green tomatoes can be salted, but fruits with damage from diseases or for other reasons must be discarded.
- For pickling in jars for the winter, according to different recipes, it is more convenient to use small or medium-sized tomatoes. It is better to prepare juice from the fruits of giants, or, if they differ in dense pulp, then preserve them in slices.
- Regardless of the recipe, tomatoes for harvesting for the winter should be picked in dry weather and stored in one row on a horizontal surface until processing.
- If possible, it is better not to mix tomatoes of different varieties in the same container - they can behave too differently.
- To avoid cracking the fruit when salting, they are usually pierced in several places with a toothpick.
If we compare the very technology of pickling tomatoes with pickling cucumbers, then the processes are very similar, but there are some differences:
- Due to the higher sugar content in tomatoes, they require more salt. According to the classic recipe, brine for ripe fruits is prepared using 500-600 g of salt per 10 liters of water. When salting green tomatoes, even more salt is required - 600-800 g per 10 liters of water.
- Since tomatoes have a more pronounced taste and aroma, they will need less spices with seasonings.
Attention! But to preserve the strength and elasticity of the fruit, as well as when pickling cucumbers, oak, cherry and horseradish leaves are used.
- The fermentation process in tomatoes is slower than in cucumbers, so pickling will take much longer. On average, about two weeks, if the fermentation temperature is between + 15 ° C + 20 ° C. And at temperatures from 0 to + 5 ° C, pickling tomatoes can last from 1.5 to 2 months.
How much salt is needed for a liter jar of tomato
The calculation of the number of tomatoes per glass container is quite simple - densely packed fruits usually occupy half of the volume of the jar. Although depending on the size, they can fit more or less. Accordingly, one can requires half the amount of brine by volume.
Important! It should only be borne in mind that banks usually hold more liquid than their official volume.
A standard three-liter jar does not hold 3 liters at all, but more than 3.5 liters, if you pour liquids right up to the neck. Therefore, the brine is usually prepared a little more than necessary.
The easiest way is to salt tomatoes in liter jars, since the contents of 1 container are usually enough for just one meal. And, given that 1100 ml of liquid is placed in a jar under the neck, you will need:
- about 500g medium sized tomatoes;
- 600 g of brine.
As for salt, it is quite easy to remember the proportions, since, as a standard, exactly 1 tablespoon with the top is consumed per 1 liter jar. It is undesirable to reduce the amount of salt, as it can negatively affect the safety of tomatoes. But slightly overdoing it with this spice is not too scary, since it is believed that tomatoes will not take in more than the amount allowed for fermentation.
The classic recipe for salted tomatoes in jars for the winter
To salt tomatoes in jars for the winter according to the classic recipe, you will need the following components:
- 1.4 kg of tomatoes;
- about 1 liter of water;
- 4 cloves of garlic;
- 25 g sugar;
- 1 tbsp. l. dill or caraway seeds;
- 2 horseradish leaves;
- 50-60 g of salt.
From this amount of ingredients, you will get about 2 liter jars of pickled tomatoes.
For any recipe for pickling tomatoes in jars, glassware is thoroughly washed and sterilized over steam or using modern kitchen appliances: an airfryer, microwave oven, sterilizer before use. It is enough to boil the lids for canning in water for 5-8 minutes.
Advice! Salt for pickling tomatoes is used stone or sea. But you should avoid all kinds of additives in it.
Rinse tomatoes, fresh spices and herbs in cool water and dry a little.
The process of salting a tomato per liter of brine is as follows:
- At the bottom of the cans, 1 horseradish leaf, other aromatic herbs and other spices prepared according to the recipe are placed.
- Selected and prepared fruits are placed as tightly as possible on spices.
- Some of the cooked spices are placed in the middle of the jar, and the tomatoes are also covered with a horseradish leaf on top.
- A liter of water is heated to + 100 ° C, 60 g of salt and 25 g of sugar are added and boiled until they are completely dissolved.
- The brine is cooled and filtered, after which the fruits are poured into them in jars to the very neck.
- Close with plastic lids and leave for 3-4 days to activate fermentation.
- If there is a cold cellar available, where you can store an almost unlimited number of cans with blanks, then it is better to send salted tomatoes there immediately. They will be ready no earlier than in 40-45 days.
- If storage space with a temperature of about 0 + 5 ° C is limited, then after fermentation at room temperature for about 5-6 days, it is better to roll up cans of tomatoes.
- For this, the brine is drained and boiled for about 2-3 minutes. Seasoned tomatoes are washed with hot water and placed in newly sterilized jars.
- Pour in hot brine, let stand for 5 minutes and drain the brine again using special caps with holes.
- Heat the brine to a boil, pour tomatoes over it and tighten with sterile lids.
- Jars of salted vegetables are cooled upside down under a blanket and then stored.
How easy it is to pickle tomatoes for the winter
You can salt tomatoes for the winter and according to a very simple recipe. To do this, you only need:
- 1.5 kg of tomatoes;
- 1 liter of water;
- 80 g of salt.
You can use any spices you want, or you can not use them at all.
- To prepare according to this recipe, you need to place a plastic bag in the jar that is equal in size or slightly larger than its volume.
- Put the tomatoes in the bag and pour over the prepared brine made of salt and water.
- After the bag is full, the free end is squeezed to release excess air and tied tightly.
- To ensure a seal, the ends of the bag are melted with a hot iron.
- After that, the jar can be closed with any lid and placed in a cool place.
- Salted tomatoes will be ready in a month and a half.
How to salt tomatoes for the winter in jars
Many people think about how to salt tomatoes for the winter so that they turn out as natural as possible and at the same time tasty, but at the same time keep within 1 day with the entire harvesting process. There is also such a simple recipe for this.
You will need:
- 2 kg of dense tomatoes;
- 50 g parsley root;
- 2 bay leaves;
- 4 cloves of garlic;
- a few horseradish leaves;
- 100 g of dill inflorescences;
- 5 black peppercorns;
- at least 50 g of salt or more to taste.
The manufacturing technology resembles pickling a tomato using the double pouring method, only without adding vinegar.
- Parsley is peeled and cut into small pieces.
- At the bottom of the jars, cut dill inflorescences, bay leaves, black peppercorns, garlic and part of parsley rhizomes are placed.
- Tomatoes are placed next, somewhere in the middle, making another layer of spicy rhizomes.
- Top of the tomatoes are covered with a sheet of horseradish.
- Pour boiling water over the cans to the very top, set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- With the help of special lids with holes, hot water is drained, and a brine is prepared on its basis.
- Tomatoes with spices are poured over them again and the jars are immediately rolled up with sterile lids.
You can taste tomatoes pickled according to this recipe in 2-3 weeks, but they become especially tasty in a month or two.
Salted tomatoes in jars with herbs and garlic
If you add another 50 g of parsley, dill and basil to the ingredients of the previous recipe, and take a small head of garlic, you can get a more spicy taste of ready-made salted tomatoes.
How to deliciously salt tomatoes for the winter with horseradish
You can also add 1-2 small horseradish rhizomes to everything else listed in the recipe above. Cutting them into small pieces and placing them in jars along with the parsley rhizomes, you can achieve the fact that the salted tomatoes will be sharp and strong in consistency.
Salted tomatoes for the winter: recipe with tarragon
Several sprigs of tarragon will add a peculiar taste and aromatic aroma to salted tomatoes. The manufacturing technology is similar, and the ingredients for this recipe are prepared as follows:
- 5 kg of tomatoes;
- 80 g dill;
- 3 heads of garlic;
- 30 g tarragon;
- 4 liters of water;
- 200 g of salt.
How to salt tomatoes in jars with celery and hot peppers
Well, lovers of spicy preparations should definitely like the recipe for salted tomatoes, consisting of the following ingredients:
- 5 kg tomato;
- 8 pcs. sweet pepper;
- 2 pods of hot pepper;
- 150 g of celery;
- 100 g of greens and dill inflorescences;
- 4 liters of water;
- 250 g of salt.
How to salt tomatoes with cloves and cinnamon
But this recipe can amaze with its originality, since tomatoes are not salty, but sweet.
Find and prepare:
- 2 kg of tomatoes;
- 50 g of black currant leaves;
- 400 g sugar;
- 2-3 g of allspice ground;
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 2 g ground);
- 2-3 carnation buds;
- 40 g of salt.
Salting tomato for the winter with vinegar
Pickling tomatoes differs from pickling in that this process usually does not use vinegar or any other acids.
A certain amount of salt contributes to the normal course of the process. The addition of vinegar helps speed up the processes and also increases the reliability of preserving salted vegetables for quite a long time. Recipe for pickling a tomato with vinegar.
- 1 liter of water;
- 50 g of salt and sugar;
- 600 g of small tomatoes;
- 1 bell pepper;
- 50 g of any greens;
- 3 cloves of garlic;
- 25 ml of 9% table vinegar.
When salting tomatoes for the winter with vinegar, the usual double-pouring technology is used, which was described in detail in the recipes above.
Salting tomatoes for the winter in jars with vegetable oil
For better preservation of salted fruits, before rolling, vegetable oil is poured from above under the very neck. So, when salting tomatoes, about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil is put in a 1 liter jar. The taste of ready-made tomatoes obtained according to this recipe is more delicate.
Rules for storing tomatoes, salted in jars
Tomatoes that have been pickled and covered with plastic lids must be kept in a cool place at a temperature not exceeding + 5 ° C. The ones that were rolled up under tin lids can be perfectly preserved until spring in an ordinary pantry, where there is no light and not very hot.
Salting tomatoes for the winter is a great way to preserve the natural taste and even increase the beneficial properties of tomatoes so that you can enjoy them in the middle of winter.